Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen one like this and wonder what your thoughts are. I found some very interesting things (along with this) yesterday and need to find time to scan them for you guys. I will do it when I can.... just very busy at the moment. In the meantime... this one is nicely tapered at the base and feels very sturdy. There is a missing notch on one side. Am I just seeing things again :D

Attachments

• Oct 13 P2.jpg
    Oct 13 P2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 431
  • Oct 13 P1.jpg
    Oct 13 P1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Oct13  BP in hand.jpg
    Oct13 BP in hand.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
A

archaeon

AB, i want nothing more than to say you got one, i really do....but i don't think that's a point. I don't mean this in any disrespectful way at all.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...... BUT...... not only is a cool rock, but I also had another excuse to show Charlie. :wink: How cool is that?

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I agree with them....looks like a flake, but as pointed out flakes dont fall far from points :wink: You are on a spot with possibilities...keep looking!

Atlantis

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I am not gonna say it is and I am not gonna say it isn't. However I will say I would have picked it up and brought it home. If it ain't a point it's about as close as you can get :thumbsup:

HH Charlie

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks (to you each) for your thoughts on this one. I will pass on the Charlie compliments to him... he loves them :D It is a great site and I did find some other things including a couple of Heartbreakers. One of them is pretty interesting. I will get them up as soon as I can.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie's other find

Charlie is fully responsible for the non points that i.... errrr, I mean HE finds. here is another white quartz rock that he swore was a point. Not only does he continue to make me look bad here, but then..... after the hunt, he snuggels up on Mom's lap and sleeps like a baby. Itsnot fair!

Attachments

• Oct 13 Quartz1.jpg
    Oct 13 Quartz1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Oct Charlie.jpg
    Oct Charlie.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 378

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just view your posts now AB, so see that beauty of a dog..lol sorry.

Molly.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
the tip of that item is very peculiar....i'm leaning toward broken point...something about the base too.... :icon_scratch:

I think that you are 100% correct. The thing is, you have to hold this one to feel the work. I believe that part of the corner (a notch) is broken and a small part of the base as well. Photos never do these things justice.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio_Doug said:
Looks like an unfinished point to me, the base appears unfinished on the right side.

Yea.... it's either an unfinished or broken point. After reading the comments, I held it again last night. As with many of my questionable points, if a person could actually hold it, I think they would know right away that its a worked piece. You know that feeling when you pick up a point? It has that 100%. a nice, even taper toward the base, etc. In this case, I lean a tad more to the right side of the base being broken, only because the rest of it feels and looks very professionally worked and even.

There is such a wide variety of points and such at the location, that its almost hard to believe. That is, until you fully understand the history of the spot. Most of the points were used for fishing here. I also believe that a case or more of trade pipes fell out of a boat just offshore.I am finding pieces of trade pipes just about daily and they are all in an area of about 50 feet, along the river. The rest of the area along this section of river is literally covered with flakes of quartz, granite and other material............ all well back from the river's edge in large natural clearings. Within these clearings are numerous old fire pit sites as well.

What that leaves me with are points that ended up in the water while fishing, tons of flakes at the campsite propper, many preforms and semi worked pieces up on the high ground, around the firepits, and a rare perfect point deeper in the surrounding woods, probably used to hunt game....as they are the larger points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread