Got Permission to Hunt

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Well after three tries I got the go ahead to hunt the field. Mr Gudger said only one condition, that we split 50 50. He started laughing and said he was kidding. He ask if he could go with me, I found this unusual as its his land. He's 76 yrs old and walks just slow enough to hunt good. He's lonely, wife has died, kids live off a distance. We started where I was last week, We found a couple Morrow Mts, a pretty triangle point and a good size pottery shard for here. Then I kicked over a small rock and found this mystry item to me. I hope you guys will give me your thoughts as to what it is, I,m sending several pics and in different light. It has been shaped by pecking or chipping. It has two places like sharping something but they don't match up. It also has a scooped out a area on the top. Thanks for your help. Oh yea my wife wants to have him over for supper. He also said he'll have the field plowed in the spring as its really grown up now and hard to see the ground. He sure likes to talk but strangely I didn't mind at all.

Attachments

• ec6d.jpg
    ec6d.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 461
  • 6210.jpg
    6210.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 459
  • 83c8.jpg
    83c8.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 460
  • d104y.jpg
    d104y.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 467
  • cc2a.jpg
    cc2a.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 465
  • afd2.jpg
    afd2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 466
  • bc581.jpg
    bc581.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 462
  • e36e.jpg
    e36e.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 464
  • fe2e.jpg
    fe2e.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds gilmerman. As for the strange rock, my first thought was just a natural piece of eroded what we call Iron Stone, but after looking closely at your pictures I can see what you are saying about it being worked. Maybe it was used as a Pottery Tool to smooth out the sides of the pots. Whatever it is, it's a very cool looking piece.

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Perstance does pay! Way to go, and good artifacts too. Since, I don't know for sure I would say Steve is right, as it looks like it has smooth areas, from polishing, or grinding. Keep us all posted on what you find.

badandy

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Congrats on permission, and your finds. Not sure what it is, but you can bet if found in company with artifacts, they used it for something. Very interesting. You probably made the ole boys day also. congrats again. John

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great to get permission. I think it's the least you can do taking him along with you. Looks like you are in a good spot. Not sure what the rocks is but, reminds me of something I saw they used for shoe making, not sure though. Still a good find, worth keeping.
Congrats hope you do good there. Be sure to share what else you find.

Molly. HH.

A

archaeon

nice finds! love that pottery.... i have seen a natural stone that looks alot like yours..Tomclark has one. They form in rivers and end up looking like certain keels some sailboats have. I'm not sayin it wasn't used by Indians, because of the context they were found in. I hope Tom can post s pic of his, cause i swear it looks very similar. Not sure, but very interesting piece.

P

pickaway

Great finds & story.Getting permission is a challenge i recently got permission for 2 fields, then i found out the owner owns over 2000 acres in the county asked if i could hunt those fields got a no, ouch. maybe he'll cahnge his mind 1 day i hope, congrats again on the finds...

Pinellas Man

Sep 15, 2008
North Florida
Glad you got permission, there is no telling what you will find. I'm with Flintfinder concerning making Mr. Gudger's day. I believe you will be rewarded for it one way or another. :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like it may have been shaped that way so a length of sinew or rawhide could be tied around it without slipping off? Monty

SouthernGirl

Nov 6, 2008
alabama
wow those are some great finds I have know idea what the rock is but I would have pick it up and carried it home. I think you have made you a new friend too and you can never have too many of those

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
That grooved thing is peculiar. In the third pic i can see the natural smooth surface with the Indians' pecking marks. Yeah, also on the top there are those two thin grooves. Cool and weird find! :icon_scratch:

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Nice finds, Pretty cool walking with the property owner.He was probably grateful for the company and to find stuff is a nice bonus.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Great finds and story...the rock looks like a net weight to me, can't say for sure...

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Great stuff. I like the sherd. That stone favors some of the abrading stones found around here that were used to rough up the edges for knapping.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
asking permission to hunt is a top priority for me. when you have permission you aren't always looking over your shoulder for the farmer. most farmers nowadays wont even consider letting their grandchildren run through the fields for fun. get this: most local farmers know eachother, and just getting permission from one, let alone taking him along, makes it easier to get permission from the others. problem is this: marijuana cultivation. 20 years ago, farmers didn't let that bother them, mostly because they didnt even recognize it if they seen it! today's farmers are the sons of the older farmers, and they can pretty much recognize it when they see it! liability is mostly the reason they dont want you on their property. ex-police chief farms local property here. i'm sure he keeps an eye out for trespassers. i have yet to ask him, but he's on the list!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread