river Hunting????

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008
looking for advice!

I hunt an area of the river that is "city" property where I park and enter, I know that if I walk down about 1 mile I am technically on someone Else's land, even though I stick to the river bank(walking) I was told that most of the people who own land in my area are used to it, and do not throw a fit, but from what I understand it is trespassing if I do(walk). so I stick to the public area untill I can get permision from some landowners.

I was concerned with this so I purchased a inflatable kayak and planned to float down the river, but that really sucked. does anyone else use a raft/canoe/boat?

I am looking for info on general advice on how best to hunt rivers, the laws from what I can tell are very are very confusing.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told once that landowners only own to the high water mark on major rivers that abut their property. I don't know if this applies to small rivers and creeks though or if that is even true. I know I hunt along the banks of the Ohio River all the time and have never had a problem with people trying to run me off.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I am glad Steve, came in on this one, Beenn watchin it. Here in Mo. no bodys got a problem with that....................John

D

Dc1013

I was told by conservation that land owners own the land all the way up to the water stating they can't own the water.If you enter from public land like parks and such and canoe from that point down stream and get out on to the rock beds that is from what I understand trespassing giving that the land is not public land.You can't even touch the land in the water.
http://adventuresports.com/river/nors/states/mo-law.htm

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
i do alot of fishing on a local river in ne ohio,as long as im in my boat and not anchored i dont have to have permmission,but as soon as i anchor or get out in my waders i have to have permission

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Sid, if I remember right, you're hunting up on the upper Ark. I know the land up there and am familiar with several of the owners. You definitely want to get permission before trespassing across some of it. Trespassing and littering are what got places like Bohemians and Clarences shut down. I could tell you some horror stories on what has happened to vehicles in certain spots..lol

OP
OP
sidmind

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008
Neanderthal said:
Sid, if I remember right, you're hunting up on the upper Ark. I know the land up there and am familiar with several of the owners. You definitely want to get permission before trespassing across some of it. Trespassing and littering are what got places like Bohemians and Clarences shut down. I could tell you some horror stories on what has happened to vehicles in certain spots..lol

I would love to hear some stories, I sent you a PM, I have heard of Bohemians landing, and have considered getting in touch with the land owner, I work with his son-in-law but dont know him at all, Hopefully I can throw a few names out and get some access.....????.....

I have made a few connections at work, asking around I have found outof a few land owners that are friends of friends. Several weeks ago one of those connections finally led me to a friend from high school (many years ago) who owns land on the river, I got in touch with him, and now have great access with a short walk to a distant part of the river. I went out Friday night for the short hour of light, and plan to hunt the area all weekend.
I seen lots of great rock, and some flakes in my quick walk, hopefully this weekend will be better, it will be my last weekend for a while. I have surgery next week, and in a few weeks have to travel to Italy for work. normally that would be great but I will be recovering and have to take it easy. so my time in Italy at the base of the alps wont involve any skying. I am really bummed about that. I hope to push it out a few more weeks so I can do some skying.

I also have a few more photos of last weeks find, I found 2 great points. I will wait untill after this weekend to post.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Arkansas, I understand on any 'freeflowing waterway', you can traverse & get out on either bank 10 foot.

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread