Flintknapping Materials?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I am looking to get some material to try flintknapping. I ran across a guy that sells some material a county away from me. I have never tried flintknapping and don't have a clue as to what to look for in materials. I know from experience in working with certain hobbies that it often better to learn on materials that are better in quality than trying to learn on crappy materials. The only problem is I don't know what is quality and what is crappy yet. Here is the guy's stock and price:

"Jasper, Keokuk, Georgetown, Georgia coral, Buffalo river chert and English flint is what I have in stock. All of my slabs are cut, trimmed, heat treated and ready to work. Most slabs are 7 to 4 inches long. All material is $1.50 a running inch."

Would this be good for me to learn on or is there a place to get better materials cheaper?

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Sounds good but who knows without seeing it first. If you're just starting out and have no idea what you're doing yet I would tell you to practice on free materials for a while first, glass and old toilets work great. Black obsidian is also a pretty cheap starting material, once you learn the basic principles you can start shelling out the by the inch money. In my opinion anyway.

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Thinks for the input.
I know where there are a couple of old toilets that I can get chunks from. Think I will start practicing with that and then move up to other stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread