Last weekends hunt 2-8-09

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Got out last sunday( finally some decent hunting weather ) and spent a few hours on two of my better hunting spots. I found myself in some prime conditions and the thawing mud was pushing up the flakes and debitage. The first pic is the brokes and heartbreakers, the second is complete artifacts I found. I'm really not too sure about the larger drill looking piece, it may be a broken chunk of red quartzite?, it does appear to be worked though. The greenish uniface knife on the right has me excited because of the material( which is unusual for this area), and because it's probably paleo or transitional at the least.

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Nice finds there thirty7 I can't wait to back in Wi to start looking. :thumbsup:

P

pickaway

Nice find congrats.That is nice material on that one piece :thumbsup:

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
Thiry7,

Nice pieces !! you sure are finding a lot of stuff.

My opinions, are that the "Drill" was struck off as a "flake" that coincidentally looked just like a drill, and that the maker decided to use it, as such. It definitely appears to have "ware, use" patterns on the drill end.

The real nice material to the right, is a core reduction flake, that was never finished into a tool. It's very nice material, but apperst to still have some of the original cortax material (the white crusty stuff on the lower part) that makes me think that they had a high quality core, and were still trying to "clean it up", getting ready to take off the really usefull flakes.

What makes you think that it was used as a knife? (keeping in mind that any flake can cut) Any hafting marks, sickle sheen ?

please don't be offended, these are just my opinions.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
not offended triplecreek, I agree on the ' drill ', the uniface side of the possible knife has wear use polish, secondary edge work, and a notch that fits the hand perfect.but you could be right it may be an unfinished flake, i did find what's left of a core of the same material awhile back, i'll get a better pic of edge work.

Attachments

• phpOcnbq4PM.jpg
    phpOcnbq4PM.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 196

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
ok, now I see that the edge has been retouched & sharpend. Also, maybe a hide scraper ? (hand held)

Definitely nice material.

Thanks for posting Thirty7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread