My favorite piece of ancient flintwork

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 1/4" masterfully crafted. Found in Pickaway County, Ohio. I did not find it; pretty sure I would have dropped dead on the spot. Flint Ridge Button Base Dovetail. I consider this piece the highlight of my arrowhead collecting career. I don't ever see topping it.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• dovetailpiccounty1.jpg
    dovetailpiccounty1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 392
  • dovetailpicoh2.jpg
    dovetailpicoh2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nice Jon. That is definitely one very fine piece of flint, no doubt about that.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Outstanding piece Jon. Don't cut yourself short though, a 5 1/4" Cumberland would do, or maybe a 6" Hopewell Ross Blade. As far as the reasonably attainable flint, that one is amongst the highest caliber.

P

pickaway

Killer piece I've seen quite a few Doves come out of Pickaway county, i've never come close to finding one though.Thanks for the pic... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the replies.
Lostlake- If I had the means.... Last real 5" cumberland I saw sold for 33K. The only 6" Ross Blade that is real and in private hands traded hands for 100K about 10 years ago. I have heard it is back on the market for 250K. Until I hit the lottery, I'm stuck with the dove.
Pickaway- Do you live in Pickaway County? I have an unfinished project of finding out the farm where the piece was found. I have the info, but need to figure out how to get an old property map to pinpoint the location. I was talking to a collector by the name of Barnhardt(you may know him), and he relayed that Pickaway County is THE place for big flint ridge doves. Do you agree with that statement? Have you ever found a broken one? On another note, did make the Ripley Show? I was the idiot in a suit.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

P

pickaway

Yeah i live in Pickaway County,Yeah i know Barney,No didnt make it to show,I've never found a dove or a piece of one,They have a great geneology library in town.Pm the info and i'll see if i reconize the name ive lived here my entire life.theres another member here newnan man thats has found half a dozen or so doves here in the county.I'd guess alot of it comes off the river area.Some of johns doves came from a field down the Rd. from me but the owner is a n__i wont let noone even look at field.

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Jon,
Real nice dove my friend! Do you know if your going to make it to Collinsville this year? P.M. if you get a chance and let me know. Thanks for sharing the dove with us.

badandy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions