Where to begin??

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all if this is the wrong place to post this I apologize. I'm sure this topic has come up before and feel free to post links to past threads.

I want to start hunting for Indian artifacts here locally in New Jersey. I was out with my wife and five year old daughter yesterday and we were walk along a creek and I suggested we look for arrowheads they really got into it even though we did not find anything. I've tried to get them interested in metal detecting so we could do it as a family but they were not interested so I see this as an opportunity to do a little THing as a family.

Can you give me any tips. tricks or suggestions on how to start hunting for Indian artifacts here in NJ? Are there any 'hot' areas that I should try? Any good books on the topic that I should read? Etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

NJ

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you as far as specifics for your area, but I will tell you to go to your local library and do some research on Indian sites in your area. You can learn quite a bit by doing some research. Another way is to drive around to your local farms and ask the farmers if they find any artifacts on their property and if you can get permission to hunt. Taking your family along with you will probably help you get permission faster, especially if you have young kids.

Once you finds areas that you can get permission to hunt, look for high ridges near bodys of water like rivers or streams. Usually the confluence of a river and stream or two rivers is a good place to look since they would camp on the high ground in these spots. If you start seeing pieces of flint, bone, shell, or pottery then you are on a site and you would then hunt it very slowly one row at a time until you hunt the entire area.

Good luck.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and hear my warning. You guys will soon be fully addicted to this great hobby!!! You have been warned haha :wink: I'm no expert but am in my second year of this and have a couple of great frames with beautiful points. All I can say is..... read up on the Indian history of your area, try and determine where they were active (camps, villages, etc.), get a good walking stick so that you can flip over items that you see, keep your eyes on the ground at all times, and learn about what kinds of points are found where you live. At first, you will pick up lots of rocks that seem to be points but when you start to find the real deals, you will develop a good eye for them. You will know the material and it will stand out to you. You will learn that rain is your friend and will head out into the rain or right after it stops. There are lots of very experienced folks here so you have come to the right place! Welcome and best of luck. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? I began and still hunt points in NJ if you tell me your location I can steer you towards some places............

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Woodbridge. I also go down to the Outer Banks, NC a few times a year so if anyone knows of any good areas down there to look please let me know.

Thanks everyone for your input.

NJ

shopdog

Oct 20, 2008
I CHECK MY LOCAL PAPER ARCIVES FOR SITES THAT HAVE BEEN DISCOVERED IN MY AREA IN THE PAST AND FIND SOME WHERE TO LOOK CLOSE BY OR SOMETIMES THE SAME SITE IF YOUR LUCKY . KIDS DO WORK GOOD FOR GETTING PERMITION REEL GOOD WITH THE OLDER PEOPLE

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you really got some good advise there my friend.but if you take the kids let them get as loud as they want to as it tends to scare off the snakes. jamey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread