Best Find Of My Life - Effigy Pipe!! New Pictures!!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this morning after I got off work and hit one of my Ft Ancient sites. I got there really early and it wasn't even light yet so I tried hunting with a flashlight until it got daylight. I found the Bone Pendant and the small Bone Bead with the flashlight and the rest after it became light enough to see. I wish I would have had my camera with me, but since it was a spur of the moment hunt and I left from work I didn't have it. The Pipe would have made a killer in situ picture. When I first saw it I thought it was a large Deer Antler Arrowpoint and never even thought about it being a Pipe. When I flipped it over and saw the hole for the stem I almost fainted. My heart started pounding and I started sweating and I let out a really loud scream. Definitely the best piece I have ever found in my 44 years of hunting for artifacts.

The first picture is everything I found in the hour and a half I was there and the rest are the Pipe. It has a mouth engraved into the tip at the bottom but no other markings. I was hoping it would have eye engraved in it as well, but trust me I'm not complaining. This thing is in pristine condition. It is made of sandstone and has no damage whatsoever.

Sorry these pictures aren't real clear. I took them in a hurry and will try to get better ones later. My battery died on the camera.

Attachments

• Pipe05.jpg
    Pipe05.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,613
  • Pipe07.jpg
    Pipe07.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,427
  • Pipe09.jpg
    Pipe09.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,392
  • Pipe12.jpg
    Pipe12.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,414
  • Pipe11.jpg
    Pipe11.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,437
  • Pipe10.jpg
    Pipe10.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,457
  • Pipe08.jpg
    Pipe08.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,574
  • Pipe06.jpg
    Pipe06.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 3,519
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Pipe008.jpg
    Pipe008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,802
  • Pipe011.jpg
    Pipe011.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,755
  • Pipe010.jpg
    Pipe010.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,788
  • Pipe009.jpg
    Pipe009.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,792
  • Pipe008.jpg
    Pipe008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,795
  • Pipe007.jpg
    Pipe007.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,833
  • Pipe006.jpg
    Pipe006.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,854
  • Pipe004.jpg
    Pipe004.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,873
  • Pipe003.jpg
    Pipe003.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,875
  • Pipe002.jpg
    Pipe002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,892
  • Pipe001.jpg
    Pipe001.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,912
  • Pipe008.jpg
    Pipe008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,924
  • Pipe012.jpg
    Pipe012.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,750

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,great find and well deserved... jamey

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow and Wow. What a surface find ! That site has got some mojo going on. Very rare find indeed. That is something that was not often lost. It will look great in your collection.
Congratulations
TnMountains

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

YeY.................... :thumbsup: You got you a banner...... :thumbsup: :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy: Its a killer little pipe . Congrats Steve John

O

ohannos

Really cool find. Never seen one before :thumbsup:
I dont know much about indian artifacts so i dont know where to put it in time but it sure is a cool artifact.
Conggratulations :thumbsup:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sooooo cool! It's great to see these artifacts on the banner! I don't think I recall ever seeing TWO native artifacts on the same banner shot! Nice find!

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Congrats on making the banner. This one belongs there. :thumbsup:
Randy

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FIND!!!!!!!! You deserve BANNER for that one. Congrats..............Hogge :thumbsup:

A

archaeon

DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!
DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!DUDE!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIG BIG BIG CONGRADULATIONS! i think it's a fish effigy! trout? now see if you have any trout bones? WOW! you are the :icon_king:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is it?

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for all the comments about my Pipe.

Here's a little info on the Ft Ancient Culture.

The Fort Ancient culture (beginning circa 950 A.D. and ending around 1650 A.d.) existed along the Ohio river and its tributaries and continued up to the early historical period. Fort Ancient was originally thought to be a later extension of the Mississippian cultures to the southwest but are now generally seen as being contemporaneous. Both the Mississippian and Fort Ancient cultures are believed to have developed independently from common Late Woodland complexes. Some of the best documented sites of the Fort Ancient culture are the Blaine, Madisonville, Morrison, Graham, Voss, McCune, Gabriel, Erp, Incinerator, Sloane, Turpin Farm, Haffner-Kuntz, Hardin Village, Feurt Mounds and Village, and Riker sites.

Fort Ancient is distinguished primarily by its ceramic ware styles, but also by their small triangular arrow points as well as distinctive shouldered pentagonal flint knives. Other artifacts include shell hoes, "weeping eye" gorgets, and other ornamentation, bowl stone pipes and elbow stone pipes, and stone discoidals. Many bone tools are also evident such as deer and elk scapula hoes and awls, punches and fish hooks. During the 9th and 10th centuries the Fort Ancient culture had become increasingly dependent upon agriculture as a subsistence base, though floral and faunal evidence hunting and gathering continued to play a large role in subsistence.

Fort Ancient settlements were often quite populous and nucleated but there appears to be a lack of political centralization. Elite structures have not been found, which likely means there was no differential access to economic resources. Fort Ancient society remained flexible for seasonal environmental resource exploitation. The Fort Ancient culture drew to a close in historical times as historically known groups such as the Delaware, Miami and Shawnee are recognized in the area. The Fort Ancient sites are not necessarily abandoned at this time but influx of both these new groups, as well as Europeans, with the attendant stress such as disease all combined to fundametally alter the societal structure.

Hopes this helps out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread