Oklahoma Boy, Needs Help

Okielawman23

Dec 28, 2004
I just started hunting arrowheads here around the Tulsa area. I have been down and walked in the Ark, river and it seems to me as if that place gets hunted alot. I have no idea where else to look around Tulsa.

I want to find some areas at least an hour away kinda off the beaten path. I know where alot of creeks are, but how do I know if they are old creeks or not.

Alot of the creeks I know are just sandy bottom creeks, not rocky creeks like I see on here.

All of the rocky creeks I see are all in the Eastern part of the state.

Anyone interested in showing me the ropes, that would be awsome!!

I did find a broken point down on the river this evening. It was pretty, but broken non the less. I am hooked already.

Anyways, I have read that oklahoma has all kinds of points to be found around here.
Thanks for reading my post.

Chris
PS.
Email me at [email protected]

Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
This won't substitute for familiarity with your area, but in general : find places where feeder creeks empty into larger ones, or creeks into rivers.

In each of these places, look for a place (or places) where there's a shelf or ridge top within fairly easy walking distance -- even a one-foot elevation. Especially it faces more or less south.

If that place is ploughed, or you can at least see bare ground between the plants growing on it, you're (potentially) in business.

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008
Okielawman23 said:
I have been down and walked in the Ark, river and it seems to me as if that place gets hunted alot.
Dont give up just because an area gets hunted alot. you found a broken one, so your in the right spot.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sidmind said:
Okielawman23 said:
I have been down and walked in the Ark, river and it seems to me as if that place gets hunted alot.
Dont give up just because an area gets hunted alot. you found a broken one, so your in the right spot.

He is right. We sometimes hunt the same place weekend after weekend. You never know what will tumble out or uncover.Trick is to be the first one that day and not see foot prints.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Okie, If it's any consolation, I was out yesterday, July 5th, and walked an area that I had previous covered with a fine tooth comb. Within 2 hours, I picked up four points, scrapers, etc. I've attached photos. My point, every time it rains, the deck gets reshuffled. Hang in there, and good luck!
Docmann

Attachments

• MiscPt1.GIF
    MiscPt1.GIF
    181.5 KB · Views: 222
  • MiscPt2.GIF
    MiscPt2.GIF
    82.8 KB · Views: 219
  • WichitaPt1.GIF
    WichitaPt1.GIF
    116.5 KB · Views: 229
  • WichitaPt2.GIF
    WichitaPt2.GIF
    94.3 KB · Views: 221
  • MiscPt1.GIF
    MiscPt1.GIF
    181.5 KB · Views: 215
  • MiscPt2.GIF
    MiscPt2.GIF
    82.8 KB · Views: 216
  • WichitaPt1.GIF
    WichitaPt1.GIF
    116.5 KB · Views: 212
  • WichitaPt2.GIF
    WichitaPt2.GIF
    94.3 KB · Views: 229

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry it took me this long -- duh.

Ask around. By the time you've asked 50 older folks around your way if they know anybody who collects indian relics you could ask, or where they know people have found them, you've got to start landing solid leads.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uniface has some of the best advice you will get, Okie. Docmann is right about the rain, and more importantly, every time that field gets plowed your chances improve. I've had the best luck in Oklahoma by going out and deciding where I would live, and then searching accordingly. In Oklahoma, researchers figure that there was human occupation along every single mile of the major waterways at one time or another. Water is always a key to village sites. I have also found a lot of workshops by checking on the south facing sides of hills above village sites. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread