first uniface.....

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I have found a lot of stuff, but strangely have never found any uniface tool that I was aware of.

The other day on a short hunt, couple of hours, while looking through a gravel bar I saw this smooth and fairly unremarkable piece of flint laying there. You know you have seen hundreds, these are broken naturally off a larger piece of flint and are sharp as can be, but have never been worked by anyone save Mother Nature.

Here is what I saw...

dsc00434.jpg

Didn't look like anything much, but I had to turn it over. So I flipped it with my walking stick.
and to my great surprise, it was obvious it had been worked a good deal on the other side. There were so many serrations, I think I'll call it a bread knife. :wink:

dsc00435k.jpg

dsc00437t.jpg

It is not exactly a square knife, but sure was used for cutting and with a wicked point. I found when gripped, with index finger crooked over the lower point just so, it was solidly held and perfectly so for cutting.

dsc00440w.jpg

and a view of the side...

dsc00439fkm.jpg

that, may well be, why I haven't picked one up. (other than being blind in one eye and can't see out the other) :dontknow: One side no way appeared to be an artifact, but overturned it became just as obvious it was and is.

Look very carefully and don't take anything for granted. (my hint for the day) ;D

HH,
BW

Upvote 0

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is a large scraper which is much harder to find than the normal size
whenever I go walking for an hour or two I usually find about ten of the smaller scrapers but hardly ever one as big as yours

every time I see a piece of flint, jasper, agate, or gray chert with no flaking I flip it over with my hunting stick and it
usually is a scraper
I learned a long time ago to always flip these over, since then I have found a few pails full of scrapers, but only a dozen or so of the big ones like you have pictured

that is a very nice piece bravo

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravowhiskey

Cool Tool ! No doubt thay had the edge work going on that artifact. That uni is making me study everything I see now. Its killing me. That thing is good size too. Congratulations.

TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread