Your winter forecast for artifact hunting this year. (EL Nino)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking that the EL NINO will affect our hunting this winter. See what you area has in store for you.
The Midwest and Northern United States are likely to get a warmer winter, while the Southeast can expect just the opposite: cooler and wetter conditions.

In Thursday's winter outlook, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says an El Nino weather event — warming in parts of the Pacific that affects weather worldwide — will be a major player in America's winter temperatures.

Forecasters predict warmer than usual temperatures would reach a swath from Washington to Michigan, dipping south to central New Mexico. Alaska also has a higher chance of warmer temperatures.

They also say cooler temperatures are expected from southern Texas to the Mid-Atlantic and in Hawaii.

Other places, such as the Northeast and California, can go any which way on temperatures.

Overall, slightly more than half the nation by area will be warmer than normal, but when it comes to where most people live, about half the population is likely to have warmer weather and the other half cooler, said Mike Halpert, deputy director of NOAA's Climate Prediction Center

The El Nino will play a big role in helping some drought-parched regions, Halpert said. Forecasters said there is a significantly higher probability of wetter winters for Texas, Florida and California and the southern parts of New Mexico, Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.

Hawaii, the Pacific Northwest and part of the Midwest from Michigan to Arkansas are more likely to be drier than normal because of fewer storms across the Appalachian Mountains, Halpert said.

Halpert said the El Nino is currently weak but forecast to strengthen to a moderate-sized weather variation in the next few weeks. The El Nino not only influences the forecast but it gives forecasters more confidence that what they predict will come true, he said.

The El Nino makes forecasts for a wetter southern Texas and less than average snowfall in the northern Rockies far more likely to come true, Halpert said.

Well there you go.
HH
TnMtns

Upvote 0

Beuwulf

Sep 15, 2008
VA/MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I just can't resist; Whats the traffic going be? :dontknow:;D :laughing7:

Thanks for the forecast it is appreciated! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beuwulf said:
I just can't resist; Whats the traffic going be? :dontknow:;D :laughing7:

Thanks for the forecast it is appreciated! :thumbsup:
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I have to agree Beuwulf. I think it means a wet winter here with much erosion. I imagine your 5:00 o'clock traffic will remain the same !!
:laughing7: :dontknow:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey TN,

We have not gotten our "fall rains" for a long time and we finally are getting them. My danged pond/tank is at a historic high level. The Bass and Sunfish sure aren't complaining.
I just got one thing more to add. My timing is lousy. Just bought a, new to me, canoe, for checking gravel bars for artifacts and we got about 6"- 10" rain since. That ole Brazos River is really boiling. Oh, well, it will go down someday. And when it does.....look out, may not be able to post all the stuff!

BW

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Thanks for the report weather guy. It's already hit the thirties a couple times this month here in Va. Chance of snow tonight and tomorrow...way to early imo. Today I was hunting and it felt like mid winter with wind chills in upper 30s. Global warming...whatever. Time to get in as much hunting as possible before this early winter sets in.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
Hey TN,

We have not gotten our "fall rains" for a long time and we finally are getting them. My danged pond/tank is at a historic high level. The Bass and Sunfish sure aren't complaining.
I just got one thing more to add. My timing is lousy. Just bought a, new to me, canoe, for checking gravel bars for artifacts and we got about 6"- 10" rain since. That ole Brazos River is really boiling. Oh, well, it will go down someday. And when it does.....look out, may not be able to post all the stuff!

BW

Bravo
I was camping on the Brazos with some friends some years ago, We had this big deuce and a quarter pilled up onto a little knoll by the river.Fire going some cold ones.It had rained up stream from us and the water came up.Our knoll quickly became a little island. The swamps beside us and upstream got flooded and all the snakes were gliding down the river. We had coleman lanterns and sticks flipping the moccasins back into the current as they landed on our little campsite. After a while we all piled into that big old car and spent the night.
What a fun memory of one of many trips trip on your river !!
I hope you find bucket fulls.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
Thanks for the report weather guy. It's already hit the thirties a couple times this month here in Va. Chance of snow tonight and tomorrow...way to early imo. Today I was hunting and it felt like mid winter with wind chills in upper 30s. Global warming...whatever. Time to get in as much hunting as possible before this early winter sets in.

You see anything? It was 39 here today. We moved stands all day and doing same tomorrow. That global warming is sure cooling us down. Our creeks and rivers will never go down. I will hunt all I can till January then its artifact time again :thumbsup: Have you seen treefrogs post on his shelter digs? Nice
Have a great safe season.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
thirty7 said:

You see anything? It was 39 here today. We moved stands all day and doing same tomorrow. That global warming is sure cooling us down. Our creeks and rivers will never go down. I will hunt all I can till January then its artifact time again :thumbsup: Have you seen treefrogs post on his shelter digs? Nice
Have a great safe season.

Should have specified that I was artifact hunting, haha. I did see some flint. As far as deer go I've been seeing a couple 6 points, and lots of does and fawns. I need to check out that shelter dig post again.

mikez

Jul 21, 2008
New England
I'm still learning but this past season I found right after the ground thawed in early spring a bunch of stuff was exposed that had not been there before the snow came.
Not too worried about temps - this is MA, temps are gonna be cold no matter what. A few degrees won't matter when it's 12 F ::)
Snow/precipitation is the big question. I think I remember lots of snow from El Nino last time. Lots of snow means no artifact hunting till it melts but heavy runoff in spring could expose more stuff.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
bravowhiskey said:
Hey TN,

BW
Hey, Bravo, what part of the Brazos do you hunt?

P

pickaway

I hunt year round unless there is snow cover,Ive had to use coffee to melt points outta the soil before...No urine yet lol... :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread