Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am digging the downward one hit controlled flaking. Very nice read best I have seen in awhile. :thumbsup:

dblski

Mar 18, 2009
Very interesting read, especially the clovis article and map. I am from Illinois and it looks like there are only a couple counties they have been found in but all around Illinois there has been many found. This would lead me to believe there are some clovis' still out there in our great state to be found. Wish I could be the one.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with point surveys is they're only as complete as co-operative people make them.

Another problem they involve is that the great majority of known fluted points (of any points, for that matter) have not been found by their current owners. Sometimes the stories that accompany these are reliable. But artifact dealers 100 years ago were notoriously closed-mouthed about where stuff came from, figuring anyone who wanted to know where something came from was looking to cut them out of the loop. And there has always been an unfortunate tendency in the artifact collecting/trading/selling realm to "tell the man what he wants to hear" to clinch a sale. I know of one big name in the field who sent a collector looking for Pennsylvania jasper relics a selection of southeastern jasper pieces (that might have been from Mississippi) with a straight face, because that's what he had to sell.

Putting together a reliable survey isn't as easy as it might look :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions