Question on slings

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
Here on Guam slings/slingstones were one of the main weapons utilized by the natives. I was wondering if native americans also used these weapons. If they did, did they just use stones found on the ground or did they work the stones into certain shapes? Here are a few insitu shots: 1. stone mortar 2. slingstone

sinker075.jpg

adze018.jpg

adze020.jpg

I don't actually take any of the artifacts I come across in the jungles here, but I do take insitu pics.

Upvote 0

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
very nice pics and a great thread.I personally have always thought that what are called "gameballs" were used as a weapon for a sling.heres a pic of one i found a couple years ago.it is on the right in the pic.
greg-rocksartifactcollection027-1.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking morter.

Try this link http://www.pacificworlds.com/guam/native/native1.cfm
It’s really like a school, a meeting place to learn even things like fighting skills, making sling stones, practicing throwing them, building canoes, building houses, everything.

"But what’s unique about it is that women were allowed in. Since that’s where the unmarried men were, that’s where females were sent to meet up with future spouses. So in this practice you had the men who have a place where they’re meeting, and the females from different villages are coming over to meet up with bachelors."

Sounds like a great idea to me

:hello:
A sling and a sling stone.
Photo courtesy of the Guam Museum.

Sling Stone

Attachments

• slingst.jpg
    slingst.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 180

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread