Finally a point and a neat tool? Or am I making it a point to be a tool....
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Oct 2009
    40 times

Finally a point and a neat tool? Or am I making it a point to be a tool....

quick cliff's notes:
    Young niece and nephew say they find "arrowheads" on my bro-in-law and sister's farm in west Georgia...the area was a center of native habitation and commerce until Chief Macintosh (sp?) sold his land and po'd his own people who thanked him by murdering him..(forgive the rather loose history interpretation)

Also found out there are old home foundations on the property..went to check all out today to burn some calorturkies....

The "point" DOES look like one..but I'm a "newb" and I fail everytime I post something here (violin..smallest..play?)..and maybe it's the "notch" but it really is nice looking close up and you can almost see through it when holding it up...

The "rock" seems like it HAS to be a tool of sorts...it fits perfectly in the hand with a spot that fits the thumb PERFECTLY..as well as a completely flat end as if to smash things or flatten something...
    then again..I could just have found yet another geo-fact...

the other 2 (quartz as well I believe) were found in the same vicinity of the "point" ...looked like something enough to pick up, take a pick on the bberry and post here...dim your screen or fold your laptop screen back and look closely..anyone see a face on the left one in the last pic hahahaa>>too many adhd meds today..sorry

thanks for your time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00point1.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	349417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00point2.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	349418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00tool1.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	349419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00tool3.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	349420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00tool4.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	349421  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00tool5.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	349422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00tool6.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	349423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00point3.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	349424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00point4.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	349425  

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    186 times

Re: Finally a point and a neat tool? Or am I making it a point to be a tool....

Looks like somebody was chipping vein quartz there. And either using it or the chips they were taking from it -- otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.
    "[T]o silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." -- JBR Yant

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8443 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Happy Thanksgiving !
    Nice way to burn the turkey off. Intersting history. Murder back then seemed to hold more significance than todays common affair.Nobody remembers yesterdays murder anymore.

The first piece in my opinion could have been being shaped into a tool. The large item may be natural you may never know with out some type of use marks. The quartz rocks are what they liked ? The last on the left.... I am going to take some medications and come back to it
    Good Thanksgiving day post and welcome to artifacts. You are on the right track with the shapes and materials.The site sounds like a good one and would warrant further deeper exploration.
    HH
    TnMountains
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Oct 2009
    40 times

Quote Originally Posted by uniface
    Looks like somebody was chipping vein quartz there. And either using it or the chips they were taking from it -- otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.
    correct..lots of large quartz stones and lots of chipped and 'shaped' as well

us
    May 2009
    SE Iowa

Those are some fine examples of some quarts rocks, most likely used by the indians as "rocks". Followed by another fine example of a larger "rock".

Quote Originally Posted by all_atv
    Those are some fine examples of some quarts rocks, most likely used by the indians as "rocks". Followed by another fine example of a larger "rock".

Finder of Things!

gb
    Feb 2008
    England.
    56 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

The sugar quartz (pic 3) is far too brittle to have been used for some tools (axes), it just comes apart, into grains. But, it is possible pic 3 could have been used as a hoe. It all depends what context it was found.
    I have found buckets of all types of quartz, unless you are actually finding lots of points/blades, I would say they are just rocks. Its flakes you need to be looking out for, where they knapped their quartz points/blades etc..
    Good luck hunting..

Molly.

us
    Oct 2009
    40 times

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    The sugar quartz (pic 3) is far too brittle to have been used for some tools (axes), it just comes apart, into grains. But, it is possible pic 3 could have been used as a hoe. It all depends what context it was found.
    I have found buckets of all types of quartz, unless you are actually finding lots of points/blades, I would say they are just rocks. Its flakes you need to be looking out for, where they knapped their quartz points/blades etc..
    Good luck hunting..

Molly.
    Thanks for the detailed answer for sure...there is flaking all over this area of the property...and in this one general location are many large quartz rocks....

How recent has quartz been used on farmland for various things?

It could be that these just 'chipped' off when moving all the quartz rocks into piles on the property and the shape is just a coincidence....

As far as the larger rock..that is "sugar quartz"? Neat...it just seems to perfectly shaped, flattened and "layered" to have broken off like that..especially when holding it in the hand instead of seeing it in blackberry camera phone pictures...

Thank you for your help!
    Much more useful to a "newbie" in the hobby than a smart*** comment like "the indians used those as rocks...." those types of comments can turn people off from here just as soon as they join...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links