Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice!!

Stacy is a good friend of mine, he has taught me a lot, and I have used him much in the past..... He is an up and coming authenticator in my opinion. Very reasonable prices now, and fast service too.

Joel

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
If your only goal is to find out more about the time frame these items were made you would be much better off buying some good reference books (specifically ones from your area). I assume you have no reason to question their authenticity. The is just my opinion and in no way intended to knock the authenticator. I really like the bi-pointed blade and snyders point by the way!
Chuck

K

Keokukjeff

Very nice artifacts..................
The Blade is excellent!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
If you want to really get a hands on education, take the time to join one of the societies (Central States Archaeological, GIRS, etc.) and go to a show. You'll meet a lot of people, get to handle a lot of artifacts, and get to see some very fine relics.

From the csasi.org website I noticed the is a show coming up, call and see if it's still scheduled.

Jan 17 Iowa 8:00 am Wesleyan College, Mt. Pleasant IA (319) 986-5698

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I agree 100% with Joshua's statement. I would definitely take the time to stop by the Mount Pleasant show. I display there every year and it's always a good time with some really nice artifacts. I would also suggest reference books and also take the time to talk to fellow collectors. Most of the time they are more than willing to give you an opinion on a piece and take the time to give you some info or answer any questions.

If you get a chance to make it to Mt. Pleasant on Sunday stop by and say hi. I will have two tables one of which will be full of Iowa axes and the other will have a frame of flint and miscellaneous stuff. I would like to see that blade also as it's a nice one. However, I would disagree on Stacy's typology. The adena culture is nearly absent in Iowa and most stemmed points are either late archaic into middle woodland. Hopewell sites often produce stemmed types primarily Dickson and Waubesa. Your blade is probably an archaic blade and if I had to guess probably middle to late archaic. However, without finding them in a single component site there is not a good way to give them an accurate age. It's likely that most of the cultures made blades similar to that shape.

Hippy

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
Aren't you afraid that by posting the location of the finds you'll attract competition?

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I don't have any doubt they are real I mainly hoped to get some better dating on the pieces. I thought they could tell by looking at the pores under microscope or something. Is there anyone that can do that? I didn't really like the one dated 10,500-500 BP, thats the whole indian time period! I work weekends so anything on the weekends is hard to get to but I'll try to make that one. Thanks for the compleiments, and hope to meet some new people from here if I make that show. I still plan on taking some more to Stacy, the papers are nice to have anyway to go with my collection.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i agree with everyone else. but there is a thing thats gets as close as carbon dating, its a new thing and is VERY VERY accurate, its called Infrared Laser Raman Spectrograph Dating, here is a link to one the very few that use it.
Bill is very knowledgeable in the subject
http://www.wbreckinridge.com

i actually have a Cody Complex knife that i will be getting tested with this technology, for reason #1, too many people critisize it being real, and i dont want my kids to get ripped a new one when i die, and #2 my piece seems to have been picked up by a later culture and reworked, so this dating system will not only give me the original manufacture date, but a timeline when the laters reworked it!!! :) here link to the cody point i am talking about.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=285704

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice pieces there.. I thought maybe the big blade was from a cache.. might check that area out better in the spring !

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Thanks, and Stacy did suggest also that it was part of a cache. As did other members here from an earlier post. In the creek I havn't found even a flake in the since (but only have looked about 6 times). There is supposed to have been a camp in the surrounding field but I havn't got too look much there yet due to the crop cover. Soon as the snow melts I'll be out!

Also I'm not worried about others finding my areas as I described a very broad area, and about any stream, creek, or river could have artifacts.

P

pickaway

Yea that blade is a nice one...Be interested what others say it is...

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Hey Hippy I am going to the show, got a few hours off work to come over. Not sure if I want to bring some points or not tho without a table. If I could have more time off work I might get a table. What kind of awards do they give out and what's the catagories?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread