Tennessee Rock run..

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
I went to Tennessee rock hunting over the weekend. It wasn't very good conditions to hunt because the water was up in the creeks, but I did find a few. Some of this stuff is really UGLY! Even so, it flakes pritty well raw.
I believe this is Dover & either St louis green or Ky blue, But im not sure, so feel free to give your opinion.

Picture114.jpg

Picture115.jpg

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
How about a close up of that smaller blade? That looks like some pretty material. It's always nice to find big chunks of workable material.

OP
OP
Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
The little blade (2-1/2" in length) was made from a flake I nocked off a larger nodule, I think the stone is St louis green. I found some high grade Dover in the stream bed to, ill post a pic when it gets done cooking.

The pics are not great! My cheapo cammera does better with natural light.
The first picture captures the color well though.

Picture121.jpg

Picture124-1.jpg

OP
OP
Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Thanks..The little blade is a replica of a authentic piece I found on a site that produced simpson style projectile points. I made the little blade useing copper tools, but I have & still do use antler some times.. Copper is just cheaper, last longer & is easier for me to get ahold of.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I was gonna say it had the paleo look earlier. I use both antler and copper, need to make a material run myself. Looking foward to seeing more of your work.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Silver Eagle said:
Ever find any Knox up your way?

Never found any raw chunks of Knox. I have picked up a couple woodland points and tools made of it though. Great quality lithic, I like that semi translucent dark stuff. Here's a picture of some of the better grade chert in my area. It's called Hillsdale, pretty hard, but I found it works well after being treated.

Attachments

• phpB6kznGPM.jpg
    phpB6kznGPM.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,541
  • phpB6kznGPM.jpg
    phpB6kznGPM.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 568
  • phpaRMwWAPM.jpg
    phpaRMwWAPM.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 684
OP
OP
Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Thats some really nice looking material! Kinda looks like KY blue.
Whats typical for nodule size?

OP
OP
Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Well thirty7, i wanted to show you some of the higher grade material after heat treating, but i blew it all up! :icon_scratch: Guess i should have reduced the spalls a little more before cooking... So, I now have nothing but flakes!
(dang cant believe I blew the stuff) Anyhow, I took a few chips off a cortex covered flake to give you an idea of what it looks like after cooking. FWIW, I had 4 spalls of this ranging in size from 4-8".. As you can see, the heat goes all the way thru the stone & is not just a surface alteration.. Its nice stone when handled correctly..... Disgusting!!

Picture118.jpg

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
That's too bad you overcooked it, but what you salvaged is nice. Is that the same material as the Simpson blade in your first post? Beautiful stuff that looks like it would flake well. Hey man, **it happens, I bet your next batch will come out good. Triple Creek posted some really good info on heat treating in my ' Found some high grade chert...' thread. He's knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to knapping. I've yet to cook my first batch outside, been using the oven to test some lithics. I plan on getting serious about it this spring after I quarry some material. I have alot to learn about knapping. Have a good one, Ryan

OP
OP
Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Na it wasn't the blue.. It was the high quality Dover i spoke of but didn't picture. Atleast I think its dover.?? It came from the right area anyhow.

Im actually just learning which rock from the area is the best. I been hunting there about 4 times now & learn something every time I go..
But hey, its all good!

Ill check out Triple Creeks thread..

Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread