post contact sheet iron point
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

post contact sheet iron point

found this a while back
    i think it is a post contact point made from sheet iron
    lars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	382150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	382151  
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

Aug 2006
    oklahoma
    332 times

Re: post contact sheet iron point

Very, very nice trade point, and large to boot!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8481 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

I am going to mail you a metal detector. Are you still deep in the snow?? The Indians loved it when iron was introduced to them. It began the end of knapping. The skill was lost for many years. I still remember reading not that many years ago how they thought arrowheads were made. Boy were they wrong. Its when they started finding the complete knappers tool kits in burials did all the pieces start to fit. The trade items are a important part of history and their is a section here on t-net that deals just with that time frame. Pretty cool. Nice find.
    TnMtns
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

RPG
    us
    Jan 2009
    Alabama
    Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by TnMountains
    I am going to mail you a metal detector. Are you still deep in the snow?? The Indians loved it when iron was introduced to them. It began the end of knapping. The skill was lost for many years. I still remember reading not that many years ago how they thought arrowheads were made. Boy were they wrong. Its when they started finding the complete knappers tool kits in burials did all the pieces start to fit. The trade items are a important part of history and their is a section here on t-net that deals just with that time frame. Pretty cool. Nice find.
    TnMtns
    I agree, Larson needs a metal detector. I'll bet the farm there's more metal artifacts in his ground.

That's a beautiful trade point Larson.

us
    Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    1187 times

You know Larson, that is in its own right a very rare point and maybe deserves banner nomination. Tn Mnts is correct, when iron/steel got here the indians went crazy for it. Being iron though, not many lasted long in the dirt. What does everyone think, banner? Your stuff is always killer!

RPG
    us
    Jan 2009
    Alabama
    Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by newnan man
    You know Larson, that is in its own right a very rare point and maybe deserves banner nomination. Tn Mnts is correct, when iron/steel got here the indians went crazy for it. Being iron though, not many lasted long in the dirt. What does everyone think, banner? Your stuff is always killer!
    If this was my website, it would have been on the banner the second he posted it, as well as a lot of other artifacts he has posted in the past. Hell, I would have pics of his dirt on the banner. How often do you find a site that looks like Larson's.

I do agree this is a rare artifact. It's in very good shape and not rusted away to nothing. I've been hunting artifacts off and on for 30 years and never found a metal one. And I live in an area that has seen the white man since the 16th century.

The problem with it making banner is there's a time frame between the time found and the time posted.

us
    Apr 2009
    North Dakota
    Minelab X-TERRA 705
    94 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Yep, that's a nice one! Like others said, iron points don't survive very long. I found a few iron points about 20 years but they're just about completely rusted away. I also found some small, Indian made, brass points which are paper thin (literally). The field I found them in isn't farmed anymore, though.

I remember you also posted some copper/brass points.

I bought this iron point. I really like metal points....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iron pt.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	31100   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	268 
ID:	382501   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	278 
ID:	382502  

us
    Jun 2009
    Florida & Hong Kong
    2400 times

It's neat how quick iron objects degrade in some types of soil. The Allen County Historical Society used to have a rifle, sword and arrow heads found when they uncovered the grave of Little Turtle of the Miami Indians. The rifle would have passed for an old piece of rebar, the sword a piece of scrap and the points for old cupboar door hinges.

They cleaned them several years back and all the bubbly rust came off and detail was pretty amazing. The neat part is that they were buried only about 120 years, which isn't a great deal of time. The problem in the midwest is that you find a lot of little iron scraps from old farms, we've probably walk by pieces assuming they were junk.

us
    Jan 2009
    Austin T.X.
    282 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Holy moly is there anything you can't find......That is so sweet....bone,stone,metal...man what a site...
    We do not inherit the land from our ancestors, We borrow it from our children.

us
    May 2009
    Northeast Missouri
    136 times

Wow...really neat find.

Jul 2007
    247 times

I too think it is a lance head or knife...the basal notches are more in line with trade items from Canada, possibly Hudson Bay Company, which seemed to like the extra notches ahead of the tang.

Sponsored Links