My find of a lifetime, 5.25" Scottsbluff

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas
My find of a lifetime, 5.25" Scottsbluff

Here's my find of a lifetime.Found this in a Miller Co.,AR creek last year.5.25" and made of what is most likely translucent rootbeer flint.It was up on a shelf that is usually a few feet out of the water but due to flooding, there was water running over it.This thing wasn't in the water long.Can't wait for the water to go down.Special thanks to Mr.Dowdy from artifacts guide who took these photos.
GetAttachment-1aspx.jpg
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

Dirtfan

Mar 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7
Re: My find of a lifetime, 5.25" Scottsbluff

One of the most excellent finds I've ever seen! I'm proud to make my first post on this thread! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

welcome to the site.I'm still fairly new here but can tell you there's a ton of great people here who are knowledgeable in almost any subject you can throw at them.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri

John G. Scoggins said:
Thanks to everybody for the comments.What's exciting about the creek it came from is that I've found another complete Scotty as well as the tip to another one that would have been a monster.I have a feeling there's another one waiting on the bottom of the creek right now.

No doubt about it.....there are more where that came from. If you've been reading my posts you know that I am exclusively a creek/river hunter. One thing that haunts me as I'm searching my creeks is knowing that somewhere just out of my sight or even underfoot, are countless artifacts. Maybe I stepped on a beautiful Dalton, hidden underneath a shallow layer of sand or creek gravel. Is that elusive hardstone axe in the bottom of the muddy pool I just jumped over? It goes on and on.

Dirtfan

Mar 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7

Thanks John for the welcome. And Archer I hear ya, no telling what we walk over just under a little soil. One of my most perfect finds, a needle point 3.75 inch point, I found in my own muddy track on the way back to the truck.

I have been lurking here a long time, specialy with all the snow this winter, and I have really learned a lot from you guys,and ID ing some of the stuff I have. The books just don't show it all. Hope to post some of it soon.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

I suppose if 5.25" is the best you can come up with then it'll have to do... I'd say it's a keeper.

Kidding of course. That point is nicer than my whole collection. With the banking industry in shambles I don't think a safe deposit box is a good idea. Please send it to me for safe keeping. You know, on second thought I'll even drive down there and pick it up personally from you, just as a favor.

OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

Twitch said:
I suppose if 5.25" is the best you can come up with then it'll have to do... I'd say it's a keeper.

Kidding of course. That point is nicer than my whole collection. With the banking industry in shambles I don't think a safe deposit box is a good idea. Please send it to me for safe keeping. You know, on second thought I'll even drive down there and pick it up personally from you, just as a favor.
Twitch, my goal for this year is to find a bigger Scottsbluff point.There have been a few caches of large Scottys found around here over the years.The stretch of creek I'm hunting is producing quite a bit of early stuff including Daltons and San Patrices.I'm hoping my first complete Clovis is going to be there.This point is nicer and more valuable than my entire collection.It kind of makes all my other nice points invisible to anybody who looks at the frame it's in.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains

John G. Scoggins said:
It kind of makes all my other nice points invisible to anybody who looks at the frame it's in.

That's a serious problem to have John, lol.

Over the years I have seen and have been fortunate to have handled many fine Cody Complex points and there is little doubt that your find is one of the best I have seen. I would like to see that one in person sometime.

11KBP

OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

11KBP said:
John G. Scoggins said:
It kind of makes all my other nice points invisible to anybody who looks at the frame it's in.

That's a serious problem to have John, lol.

Over the years I have seen and have been fortunate to have handled many fine Cody Complex points and there is little doubt that your find is one of the best I have seen. I would like to see that one in person sometime.

11KBP
I'm planning on going to the show in Temple.I'll probably have it with me then.

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009

john...that has to be one of the most beautiful points ive ever seen! congrats. p.s. have you ever seen the fouke monster in your travels?

OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

I've never ran into the monster.Boggy Creek runs behind my house.Actually found some points back there.I guess that old rascal is probably hiding in my backyard.There's still a ton of monster hunters who pass through here.

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009

that's awesome john. that movie scared the crap outta me when i was a kid. lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread