Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice arrow heads! I have yet to find one but have managed to find a small flint scraper. HH, Mike

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Cheese I guess these are Bolen Bevels? ::) I am trying to learn ;D

God bless
Peter

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection....I'm just courious ! What state are these from?......Seeker

FoxRox

Dec 28, 2005
Lexington, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/Shadow X-5...Bullseye pinpointer
Hi cheese!! Great finds. I especially like the one just left and up from the penny! The symetry is great. I've been metal detecting for a few years but my main childhood hobby was running the plowed fields and finding arrowheads myself. I found an 1880 indianhead penny one day while looking for arrowheads as well as some old buttons. I'll try to post some of my finds after I get a decent camera. A good magazine to get is the Central States Archaeological Journal that comes out once a quarter. I'm sure they would love it if you wrote a story and shared some pictures. I've had a couple of articles printed and your finds would easily qualify!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Cheese! Awesome collection!

What is the star looking one in the second picture?

;)

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Peter, no Bolen bevels in this one ;). There is a variety of point styles in this pic. Some Abbeys, a hernando, hardee, pickwick, edgefield scraper, a game piece, marion, newnan, and other point styles. These points range from the late paleo/early archaic transitional period (around 8000 to 9000 years ago) to the late archaic period (around 4000 to 6000 yrs ago). There are a few newer pieces in there too.

Nana, the star shaped piece is a broken drill. Notice one of the "points" on the star is not pointed, it is flat. That is where the drill end was. The extended part is broken off. There is a more complete drill in the same pic. It's the white one that looks like an upside down "T" or "Y" two points up from the penny in the first pic.

Seeker, these are from south Georgia. Some of the same point types can be found in parts of Alabama and Florida, and occasionally a little farther out. Some are pretty much only found near here and farther south in Florida.

FoxRox, I don't mind sharing them, but would a magazine focusing on central states be interested in my southern finds?

Mike, if you ever come to my corner of the world, I'll make sure you find one!

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Do I see a couple of drills in there?

First pic just above center (looks like a shark tooth) Thats a nice heavy one.
Then of coarse the Star shaped one in the 2nd pic.
I'm thinking that one was an old "swiss army knife" like mutiple use tool, having up to five points to work with. Very cool stuff.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yep, 2 drills. Both were hafted drills, which is why you see the other "points" on the star shaped one. The base and tangs or corners make the other 4 points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread