Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Sep 2007
    So. Cali
    Well,.Sometimes ?
    69 times

TnMnt's ,.. Micro Drills ??

TnMnts ,.. Well , maybe the micro drills was gett’n a itty-bitty off subject on O’ Larson’s tiniest point thread ,. Maybe ?? Sometimes , I have a bit of trouble drawing distinctions between points& drills ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03953.jpgcrrs.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	389006

Micro Drill ? ,.. 7/16in long X 5/16in wide

This little obsidian drill , as best as I can describe, has two opposing uniface edges . In the pic , facing left side ? Shows one of the “worked” faces/side/?? ,... the “dark” right side is one of the unworked face’s . Now , I believe I’ve scrutinize this little fella for sometime , tried to emplane him off as some sort of a freak , from a shattered tool or such . Anyway , I’ve concluded the maker knew exactly what he was doing , as this would make for one fine cutting drill .

Name:	DSC03969.jpgcrrs.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	389007

This pic ,...well,... I’m going to “label” the top row points and the bottom row drills ...

At best , sometimes I believe it nothing more then a guessing game to “label” an artifact a point/drill . For example , the “point” in the upper-left [UL] is vary similar in form and size too the “drill” on the bottom right [BR] . The drill’s ratio of cross section [width/ thickness] lends itself better towards a drill,... but not by much ! If it wasn’t for the lithics of UL point it maybe a hard call ,.... the lithic of the point has a weight about half that of quartz , much like chalk , sharp but probably not durable enough for a drill ?
    For the most part , I feel fairly confident call’n the bottom row drills ,... micro ,...well...??

Blindpig

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Jan 2010
    North of the Balcones Escarpment
    25 times

Re: TnMnt's ,.. Micro Drills ??

Blindpig, Hey that's way cool. I just spent the morning re-aranging the display cabinet at the house. This is stuff from years gone by. I see a lot of particulars such as you mentioned that I never noticed before. Thanks for the pics and talk. Those small clear Chalcedney-like points look a lot like what we were finding at the two Cibolo digs. ( across the street from the Wilson County Sandpit) All mine seemed to be of the ensor variety, with a mix of serated Scallorn here and there. Thanks G.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    2974 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Blindpig
    You are nailing it. I hope to get a chance to photograph what this guy has spent many years in documenting. They are so small a normal sifter will not catch them. They reminded me of a 1/8th drill bit. He found them in areas I frequent but my eyes must not be trained to see them. Glad you were thinking about this and I agree you are finding them. His were so fragile they were each rolled up in a long strip of silk or something. I will try to find his articles and get some pictures to show you.With his permission.
    You have some nice ones and must have a good set of eyes.
    TnMtns
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Sep 2007
    So. Cali
    Well,.Sometimes ?
    69 times

Hay there Lone Star ,I hear ya , I collected in “years gone by" as well , a fine place to hunt ..
    I found this forum a few years back and have read every post since !!I also been enjoying digg’n through my collection from “years gone by” and shar’n an odd piece here,....every now & then ...
    Even found some inspiration to do a bit of point hunt’n again !!
    The clear points are actually quartz,... the point U.R. is some sort of California chalcedney ,.. I believe??
    TnMnt’s , Thanks ,...........HAD [past tense] ..a good set of eye’s .........Maybe they just need a bit more exercise , I believe...
    Now , there are a few small drills in the pic , but they don’t even come close to explaining some of the really small holes drilled in some of shell disc beads found here in cali . Maybe there was some sort of micro cane / reed drill’n going on ?? Perhaps , Porcupine quill , yacca /cactus needles ??
    Thanks , Blindpig

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    1098 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

Nice pieces blindpig.

Here's a Micro Drill I found on a Ft Ancient village site. I believe it was used to drill the holes in the tiny Shell Beads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drill01.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	389501  
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    Sep 2007
    So. Cali
    Well,.Sometimes ?
    69 times

Well,.. Maybe last weekend I should have said “really really small holes”??

Name:	DSC04011.jpgrs.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	392178

Shell bead from So. Cali with a few “drills” , a steel pin & piece of lead from a pencil for scale.
    I should have added such a pic last week ,.. As “really small” is a bit relative ?
    And Steve ,.. That is a nice drill ,... not as nice as your resent pipe n’ discoidal ,.. But nice ,all the same ...
    Blindpig

us
    Jan 2009
    »»--------->
    205 times

Nice thread I like the micro tools and drills. Tn., are you talkng about Addison micro drills? They remind me of 1/8 drill bits. There's a nice group of them pictured in Overstreet 9th edition in the EC section if you've got one.
    " Stay frosty, gents "

www.arrowheadtalk.com

us
    Feb 2009
    west virginia

Here is one i found that may be a micro-drill(I aint sure what qualifys as a micro-drill lol)
    The pic quality isnt very good. My camera isnt great and im still learning how to take decent pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0003.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	392839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0004.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	392840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0009.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	392841  

Sponsors