KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my buddy, Mark, with me to hit the place where I made the surface finds last week. We took our shovels to sample spots on the hill and bluff. But it was frustrating. We couldn't find the right kind of dirt or any good "sign" in the soil.

There was just one area where we found buckets of flint just below the surface. I mean, once we dug past 3-4 inches ... nothing.

I found these pieces ... a couple of tips, a base or two, partial blades, and one very large scraping tool (it fits perfectly in the palm of my hand ... really interesting). And, interestingly, the top center piece is uniface. I found it in a wash that runs through the middle of the pasture near the spot where we hunted.
03-30-10-finds.jpg

Mark did find one intact point. I took a picture in the field, but it sucks. Here it is, anyway. Maybe you guys will know what it is.
marks-point-03-30-10.jpg

The owner is planning to disc the entire pasture this fall, so we'll be heading back that way after the disc does its work and we get a few rains.

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
That big scraper is awesome...really and all the rest is pretty good too. So from my point of view you had a pretty successfull day. You really can't expect to go out there with a shovel and expect to hit paydirt right off the bat so to have found anything at all was a success. Were the "bucket loads" of flint worked or just chips as if from knapping? Someone said last week that they thought you might be on a dump site where waste chips were deposited....finding that many flint chips in one place would be consistent with that idea. Plowing that pasture sounds interesting hopefully the rains after it is plowed will uncover some good stuff for ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread