Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: bone knife with copper blade

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Re: bone knife with copper blade

Thats an awesome find, it kinda looks like its a straight razor used for shaving? As far as copper culture I am pretty sure you can rule that out. The earliest examples are 4000 years old and I never heard of one with any bone handles that folded as this one looks like it did.

congrats on the banner
    Slipperyjack47
    I have been trying to figure out what you mean about folding
    I now think I know what you mean
    on the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th images I have pulled the back of the blade up to reveal the copper sulfate line on the part of the blade that is inset into the handle, maybe it looks like the blade is hinged to fold in and out, is that what you mean?
    lars
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

Quote from: Rege-PA on Apr 20, 2010, 07:12:36 PM
    Wonderful find!!! and wondering if blade could be brass from a trade kettle or some other trade implement. One side seems to have a straight line or ridge in the metal....just thinking?

Super find Steve! icon_thumright

Rege is correct about the source of the copper for the blade. Your protohistoric finds have nothing to do with the Copper Culture. This blade would be from a source (recycled trade items) similar to those which were used for the brass/copper arrow points you have also found.

11KBP
    the material is copper for sure, it is easy to tell copper from brass with a simple tiny scratch test
    the copper blade is hand hammered which is different from the material used on the copper trade points and copper bangles (or jinglers) that I find which is why I think it could have been copper culture which could have been traded for KRF way back then, thanks much, larson1951
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

us
    Feb 2010
    Central Illinois
    Natural Eyeball Pressure
    51 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Consistantly amazing.
    Congrats on the banner.

May 2007
    TX
    64 times

Quote Originally Posted by larson1951
    steve71,
    thanks but for sure not
    all the handles Iv'e seen come from deer or elk ribs
    if I thought a bone was human I would not touch it
    fortunately I have never run across any
    lars
    I've found deer antler and leg knife handles with no blade of course and another handle out of some kind of bone.i'm no expret but i had one checked out and was told it was for a rat tailed knife.if you like i could get pics when i return home in a few days. i know i found many that could have been but only on a couple i can tell from the wear.i would have touched it if i knew it was human you gotta take that stuff to the right people.then your site gone thats the messed up part.

us
    May 2009
    North , Fla.
    7 times

WOW!!!!!! that is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time congrats on your find. 8) 8) 8)
    It's my rock !

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    6883 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Somebody asked how often we get to see something like that. Well, for those of us outside the copper culture area, never. Very cool, congratulations on the banner. I wouldn't be qualified to say if it's from the copper culture era, but I would think it wouldn't be from the historic era, as why make that when you could trade for a knife? Great find. Congrats again.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Apr 2010

That is an incredible find. Congrats!!!

RGINN,
    your reply makes very good sense when you think about it
    lars

us
    Oct 2008
    Il
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by larson1951
    RGINN,
    your reply makes very good sense when you think about it
    lars
    Same could be said about points, but recall you posting mostly copper points.
    Killer find by the way

ad
    Mar 2009
    WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
    602 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)

awesome American bone knife !!
      No matter how long the storm, the sun always shines again between the clouds ...... 

May 2007
    TX
    64 times

ones of these might have been a handle.congrats on your sweet find
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg 
Views:	1677 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	404711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg 
Views:	1662 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	404712  

thanks everyone for the banner votes
    and thanks steve71 for posting the images, very interesting!
    i wonder what some of those bone pieces were ?
    larson1951

gb
    Feb 2008
    England.
    56 times

Excellent find, you deserve the banner Steve, congrats.
    Always look forwards to seeing what you find.

It's so cool to see more Indian Artifacts on the banner..

Molly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links