Broken stemmed archaic Point

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
I don't get out to hunt much any more, but I had to make a trip to one of my old hunting grounds, to collect some materials for a primitive fishing class this weekend; so I hunted the site for a couple of hours. This is a purely archaic site that I have found previously, in the area shown, three grooved axes, in about a one acre site. This trip I found only a broken (recently) stemmed rylite point. This site seems to have been based on a small spring that is to the north of the site by about 40 yards. The land slopes gently to the South/east. The closest stream is 250 yards away. The site is safe from flooding, and is loacated above and beside a marshy glade, that is fed by the spring. I assume that the spring would have been a lot stronger 3000 years ago, with a higher water table. The site is located in the middle of the most fertile soil in the state of Maryland, (see pic) and must have been quite a beautiful place 3 to 6 thousand years ago. I also found a nice piece of black chert, that is only available as a source rock in western Maryland, about 200 miles away. The last find (other then a lot of rylite flakes), was a piece of white flint that may be from as far away as Ohio, but definitely not from MD.

Thanks for looking,
Triplecreek

Attachments

• DSC00544.JPG
    DSC00544.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00556.JPG
    DSC00556.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC00547.JPG
    DSC00547.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC00553.JPG
    DSC00553.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC00561.JPG
    DSC00561.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0

DisplacedBuckeye

May 8, 2010
Sounds and looks like a place I'd like to live right now ! At least you found something worth bending over for and its good therapy for everthing . Thanks

OP
OP
TripleCreek

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
Thanks Buckeye,

Like you I like to try to picture what the site looked like, and how it was utilized, when it was originally occupied.

3creeks

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful site. Its always nice to re visit the old sites and see they have not changed. Thanks for sharing.
TnMtns

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Nice pics and I like that black chert. The primitive fishing class sounds really interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread