How rare are fluted points?

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
I've got a couple pieces and I've seen several people with personal finds.
I don't think they're as rare as they seem. Just buried deeper.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to put a little time into it,but if you want one im sure you can get one. jamey

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends upon where you live? To me they are a rare item. Nice post.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Folsom, My dad has a Clovis.
I also have a Dalton.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
It all depends on where you are...which sites you hunt. I agree with you Joshua and think they aren't as rare as many believe. I would have to say that reproduction fluted points are more common than authentic ones.

findog

Greenie
Mar 24, 2009
Eastern Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mentor, who worked with the Arceological Department at Indiana State Univ., had found 11 but had long donated them to the university. I think he now regets it a little.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing collections like Tom Westfalls and Lyle Nickels I would say that out west and in the lower midwest they are actually found quite a lot. Around my neck of the woods they are as rare as hens teeth. They are found around here but they just aren't as prevalent as they are in the west. I have been hunting for 45 years and I have only found 1 good Fluted Point, a small exhausted Clovis, and a few small pieces. I know guys who have been lucky enough to find a couple but I don't know anyone in my area who has 3 or more good Clovis Points.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
The highest concentration of fluted points in the USA is east of the Mississippi. There have probably been more found from Oh. to Tn. than the rest of the country combined, jmo.

j. brown, I think a realistic figure on your question is unfortunately more than 50%. Not only can modern flint knappers duplicate exact styles of these fluted points they can recreate convincing patinas that sometimes fool even the authenticators.

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
Does anyone remember the Clovis Cache found in Washington state? I think they were found in an apple orchard. There were 7or8 HUGE points found and a few broken ones.

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
I think the National Geographic Magazine did an awesome article on those points, The photos were so beautiful even someone who didnt collect relics would appreciate them.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in one of the highest concentration areas in the south east and I still think they are rare. I wish they were easily found. Its amazing to me how common they are becoming :dontknow:
They are beautiful and elusive in the ground. :help: But as we can see they are still being found. :thumbsup:

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
moundbuilder said:
I'll vote for a buddy of mine, link below was used without permission but I don't think he'll mind. His dedication paid off! :headbang:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/Attica1979/?action=view&current=MOVIE0016.flv

Appreciate the link MB, that is a great video, that point just silenced him for awhile, like it would most of us if we were lucky enough to find it. I'm pretty sure I would have let a huge WOOOOHOOOOO! or something though, maybe even bust out a paleo dance on the spot. I went through alot of his pics, that dude has found alot of killers in the fields.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
to be honest, i would rather walk countless miles and and find even just a broken piece then find 10 complete non paleos in one day, holding such is just a overwhelming feeling i cannot describe

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
This past summer I got the chance to hunt all most night and day for almost two months straight in Arkansas. Never did i find a fluted point on the surface. However the ones i found were all in the river ;eading me to believe these are just deeper than the rest. On a side note has anyone found say something other than a point that was fluted? Maybe a hoe or some other kind of tool?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread