Where can I go to find arrowheads in Southern California?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at a topo map and then google the countys you will be in with the words artifacts. This will narrow your search down some. a short trip like that would have me looking for shelters or old river ways. Make sure that you know its ok to collect or pick up stuff. Good luck on your trip and if you find anything come back and share it.
TnMtns

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
I'd say looking the wrong way would be illegal in CA by now.
Newt

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi there X Press2 , I live in Northern San Diego County , an ā€œapproximateā€ location of your planed trip .
Now , Cali is a beautiful place for sure ,beaches , Mountains , Deserts and everything in between . The Native American must have once found it a true paradise, .. And they have left a few pieces of there past lives here for us to find . There places of occupation are typically found on a small terrace with a southern exposure , within 40 ydā€™s of flowing water . These areaā€™s of occupation are pock-marked with Mortar / ā€œgrindingā€ - holes on boulders and the bedrock . Such areaā€™s are easy too find when walking up or down any water corse that has a good growth of Live Oak .

JPEGmorterholes.jpg

Mortar / "grinding" holes found in "area's" of occupation ,..hell I don't even like to use the word "site" ,.. O.K. , maybe a bit paranoid ,.. but I'm the one being watched... ;D

Now , hereā€™s the problem , this is the State of California , we have a WAY over reaching state government here ,... they show no or little regard toward private property and the owners of this land . There is no right minded land owner that would like to get the attention of any of are state agencies ,. With this said , no land owner needs to have any type of cultural material found on there land . Time and time again Iā€™ve seen where good people have ā€œgivenā€ the State pieces [even in the middle] of there land ,... was the ā€œcheapestā€ way out for ā€˜em !! This is not all land , deemed for housing devolvement , but land used for agriculture ,.. Canā€™t even put a plow to it !And we have Judges that will go along with the State on it !! Yeah F..... Crazy ,.. I know !
Anyway ,...... I believe it is still legal to surface collect on private property with owners permission . I would not attempt to dig for artifacts on private property for several reasons , One is I donā€™t believe thereā€™s a need to disturb any intact archaeological site for a few points . Two , itā€™s also well known ,out here in Cali that Valley fever [fugual] is present in the cultural medians , bad stuff ! And last , but not lest , this is California , the State would not like it , and would have there Judges bring there hammer down on me ,.. And the land owner .
State & Federal and local government lands are of corse off limit for collecting .
If I may suggest ,.. Maybe try a different ā€œgameā€ out here on your visit to Cali . Maybe the Tourmaline Mines of San Diego , google it and youā€™ll find a host of sites like ; Oceanview Mine [www.digforgems.com] and there was a tour related to the Himalaya Mine , this also looked good [www.highdesertgemsandminerals.com] both of these didnā€™t look like the ā€œsalted-bucketā€ type mines ,IMO . You also may like to try one of the many Gold Prospecting Clubs , maybe one would sponsor/let you go on one of there outings ?? S.P.M.A. of lemon Grove is a good one , good bunch of people there !

Yeah ,,... Oā€™ Cali isnā€™t like the fine State of Iowa ,. Where you can ,for the most part ask any farmer to hunt for arrow-heads in his field and receive permission ,. . not sayā€™n Cali farmers are a bunch of A$$-H%ā€™s ,... just the people a runā€™n are State .

Hope this helps ,....Blindpig .. :tard:

Attachments

• JPEGmorterholes.jpg
    JPEGmorterholes.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,790

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread