Stone tools found while digging old bottles. (what are they?)

dduffy

Aug 23, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Went out Saturday morning and I'm glad i did, I found this awesome full groove axe it is 4 inches long and 3 inches wide and a grooved looking stone. It is so hard to believe I found them. I started out medal detecting and found this small building that was about 9'x9' stone foundation with brick walls. The floor boards were removed in the center of the floor. I could see that it was being used to dump old rusty cans and i figured that there had to be bottles down deeper. I picked a spot and went down as far as i could stacking the dirt ,cans and broken bottles up against the wall. The deeper i got the more glass i found. most of the bottles had been broken with stones and bricks so more bottles would fit I'm guessing. Everyonce in awhile I would find a unbroken bottle. I found the clay pot directly below the door. No dates or writing on it wonder how old it is? I was down 5' and hit gravel went down below that and found more bottles then the sides statred falling in on me and i figured it was probably not safe anymore. i was looking down just before i started to climb out and saw the curved part of the axe stone and picked it up. I could not believe what i was holding allot older than the bottles i was finding. Then i found the stone with the grooves in it, at first i thought it was a bottle. I climbing out and cleaned off my finds. You really never know what your going to find. I wanted to get back down in the hole but i figured i would need to come back with someone to help. so i filled in the hole.
I'm just wondering if someone threw them down there to break the bottles or were they in the gravel? :help: :help: :help:

Thanks for looking
Duff

Attachments

• stone finds.jpg
    stone finds.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 2,393
  • stone 2.jpg
    stone 2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,009
  • stone finds.jpg
    stone finds.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 857
  • axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1,232
  • stone 2.jpg
    stone 2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 872
Upvote 0

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Hi, I would first like to say that you have very unique find. The first piece is a fairly common full grooved Ax. That type was used over several thousand years . The second piece is something I have only seen in early European cultures. You are from an area that is rich in the Hopewell culture (1-200 BC to 500 AD) This culture has many carved stone artifacts that earlier cultures didn't have. To get a definitive answer to your questions about age,use,and culture, you need to talk to a pro.

Les

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Does the other piece have a big hole in the middle of it? The shape, design and material are spot on for a mace head (club head) from Mexico. They were made and used extensively in Central and South America, but also in ancient Egypt, Persia, Miconesia, etc.

I've seen a lot of ancient artifacts come from outhouse pits, my guess is someone tossed them out. Oddly enough, because of the Chiquita Banana company being based in Cincy, there were several large pre-colombian collections there in the 50's and 60's. That's probably too late to explain your piece, but I don't know when Chiquita started in Cincy.

Here are a couple from the Guerrero area of Mexico (Mezcala.)

Attachments

• macehead.jpg
    macehead.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 969

cthulhu

May 28, 2010
Tampa Bay
Wow Duff, that's quite a story and a LOT of digging! 5' down?!

If that turns out to be a mace head that'll be TOTALLY badass.

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I would guess they were thrown out too. I have heard storys of the old farmers would throw the rocks down post holes or mix them in with concrete as fill just to get them out of the fields. They just saw that stuff as an indians trash, littering thier fields and damaging there farm equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread