Jasper Square Knife

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
It looks like a perfect example.
No tellin' how many animals that one might have skinned.
Newt

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
That's a sturdy kitchen utensil, nice find thirty7. This jasper stuff is kinda different. I'm supposed to find it in my area, but I'm having a hard time recognizing it. Maybe I'm confused? :dontknow: ;D does it always look like that where you are?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
naturegirl said:
That's a sturdy kitchen utensil, nice find thirty7. This jasper stuff is kinda different. I'm supposed to find it in my area, but I'm having a hard time recognizing it. Maybe I'm confused? :dontknow: ;D does it always look like that where you are?

Thanks naturegirl, around here the jasper is yellow to gold or tan and when heat treated it turns deep red. I think it gets more colorful the further west you go.

Appreciate the comments Newt and Molly.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Nice find.

Is the jasper native to Virginia, or was it imported from some other source? From the photos, it resembles jasper that occurs near Elkton, Maryland, at the head of the Chesapeake Bay.

artorius

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
artorius said:
Nice find.

Is the jasper native to Virginia, or was it imported from some other source? From the photos, it resembles jasper that occurs near Elkton, Maryland, at the head of the Chesapeake Bay.

artorius

It's a local material. It's scarce in this part of Va, and more common to the east and northern areas of the state. All of the jasper I've found is concentrated in one small area above a point on a river. There are many cobbles of the same jasper scattered around this spot. Here's a handful of the local jasper I've picked up on that spot, the reddish is heat treated imo. One of the finest artifacts I've seen from this area was a 5+ inch Agate Basin drill made of Jasper, it's a stunning piece.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Very interesting. In Pennsylvania, one finds three varieties of jasper that are noticably distinct from each other: Berks-Lehigh jasper from Berks/upper Montgomery and Lehigh Counties; the Elkton jasper (whose area of occurence just crosses the state line into Chester County, Pennsylvania); and Houserville jasper from Centre County in the middle of the state. The Berks-Lehigh tends to be the highest quality of the three.

artorius

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice square tool. I like them and have found a few. Looks good in the hand. Nice color :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread