Here is a way to tell old from new points...

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
I don't know all the ways of telling the old ones from the new.

Here is how you can tell by these examples

The first pic would be a large arrowhead or spearpoint.
If you look at it closely you can tell that it was rubbed on a grinding wheel or some such machine and not knapped by hand.

Ditto for the axe-head in the second pic.

I only bought them because they were cool and i like obsidian.

Hope this may help some.I welcome all comments, suggestions and constructive critisism.

Mike in SC

Attachments

• Modern_Spearpoint.jpg
    Modern_Spearpoint.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 448
  • Modern_tomahawk.jpg
    Modern_tomahawk.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 450
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Heavy Chevy

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Here are two more modern points.
As you can see they are not knapped like most pionts you find.
All of these (Top pics also ) were bought at a gift shop in the NC mountains by my wife as she knows i like these things.

Mike in SC

Attachments

• Modern_arrowheads.jpg
    Modern_arrowheads.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 458
A

Atlantis0077

Greetings,

How to tell old from new is a question that has been echoing through collecting circles for many, many years. Truth is that without some elaborate means, the average person cannot tell a really well done reproduction from the real thing. The fakers of today have it down to a science because unlike 25 years ago, a good old, or large unusual point can fetch into the thousands of dollars. I don't profess to know all the answers on authenticating points, or I would be in the business as some are; however, there are a few things you can look for that will aid in at least culling obvious fakes and also send up a red flag that you need to look closer before plunking down that hard earned cash. First know what you are looking for, try to collect points from your region and study what types you can expect to find and what the general characteristics is of each. For example, many points are small in size....they are always small....of you see a large version of the point it is most likely faked. In the same vein, many are always thin....chipping is of a certain type any abberations from this should be a red flag. I don't buy points made from flakes. Though I have found many authentic flake points, I find that method of manufacture to be a favorite among fakers. I normally get a bad feeling when I see a point or points on display covered in dirt or poorly cleaned. This is often used by fakers to attempt to camouflage recent chipping or to make the unwary think they were just "dug up." Know your dealer....if you plan on spending a lot of money on artifacts, go with a reputable dealer...someone who you have seen or can verify with other buyers....this doesn't assure you of authentic points, but someone you can "follow up" a purchase on is more likely to deal honestly than one you cant. Also do a bit of geological study is a must. Certain stone types are used in particular areas and there are of course certain stones preferred by fakers because of dramatic appearance or ease of knapping. Fakers of today know how to make a masterful creation by using acids and other things to add patination, also, basal grinding and retouching to give the best appearance possible. By using magnifying lenses, ultraviolet light and other detection techniques the professional detective can many times see through the veneer of fakery. I cant end this without mentioning Ebay. There are many legitimate sellers on ebay and now and then you can get a really good deal on quality points; however, it is very easy to be had purchasing off there because you are deprived of your greatest detection tool....your senses. You cannot look at and closely examine a picture, and anyone can weave an interesting story to go with their artifact or artifake. NEVER purchase an item from ebay that says "purchased at an estate sale" or "selling for a friend" or "found in the attic" and expect it to be authentic.....it may well be, but chances are slim. Also, when you see a perfect Clovis or Cumberland point or a 5" Lost Lake for sale on ebay for $28.00 you have to know its a reproduction regardless of how its flowered up. No one is going to sell a thousand dollar point for $20 bucks.....If you like a piece for sale and its cheap and you want it because of its artistic appeal, fine, but don't pay authentic prices for fakes.....I admire the flintknappers skill, but no one is worth that. A little common sense and research can save you a world of regret.

Atlantis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread