Some Recent Acquisitions

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got these in the mail late last week and finally got around to taking some pictures. Some of you may know Indianasmith from a few other boards and that's who I got the from. He had bought a huge collection and I asked for first dibs on these since I love these types of artifacts and he gave me a great price. There are 25 Pottery Discs, 6 Olivella Shell Beads, 7 Bone Beads, and 1 Shell Tube Bead blank. This is all from a site located in Missouri that was more than likely a Late Woodland or Ft Ancient site. The Pottery Discs are identical to the ones I find here in southern Ohio on our Ft Ancient sites but the Bone Beads are a lot different that ours. The Bone Beads we find are almost always made from hollow Bird Bones and these seem to be made from animal bones that have had the marrow removed and then used as Beads. Two of the Discs still show evidence of the engravings that were on the Bowl.

Attachments

• New28.jpg
    New28.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 283
  • New29.jpg
    New29.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 289
  • New30.jpg
    New30.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 284
  • New31.jpg
    New31.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 287
  • New32.jpg
    New32.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing SRV. What would the pottery disks be used for?

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are neat and I love them shell beads...d2

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys and gals.

mainer, there is lots of speculation about what these could have been used for, but the major consensus is that they were one of two things. Some were probably used as Gaming Pieces and some of the bigger ones may have actually been Pot Lids used to cover the Water Bottles.

donnaplace, yes these were made from pieces of old broken Pots. Some of them were even drilled in the center.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info SRV. Learn something new everday. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread