Just found this map REG. AL PALEO does anyone hunt these sights?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Targe!! :laughing7: You feel better now!!! Mel-low!!.......Mel-low!!!! :laughing9:.............lmfao.................GTP

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"What is Pre-Paleo, Alex?"

"Sorry, there is no Pre-Paleo. The answer we were looking for was Pre-Clovis, .......Pre Clovis."

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
I did several of them when I lived in North Alabama, "Java" Slough was my favorite. I got in when the getting was good in the 1980's.

OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
I have went to two of them so far. The two closes to me of course. Both I believe were found by the pushing through of county roads. Not a lot to look at though spots are very small with heavy vegitation. Was trying to find somewhere a little more youth friendly for my kids.

OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
SouthernGirl said:
Yes I do one of those dots ( I won't say which one) is almost right on top of my house. :D

I would never ask you to give up one of your own. Just wondering about how much success people had at these since they were very easy to find on the web? Also since you are in the same area is there anywhere around they would be semi kid friendly for my children. It would be great if it was just flakes and stuff so they could start at the bottom.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
targe said:
Get-the-point said:
Targe!! :laughing7: You feel better now!!! Mel-low!!.......Mel-low!!!! :laughing9:.............lmfao.................GTP

It was cathartic...even though I know the idjits who post "Pre-Paleo" stuff on eBay probably aren't reading this board...it's like yelling out the answers to JEOPARDY to the TV screen.

Great analogy Targe. Got another good laugh at that one ;D :laughing7:................

mootsman

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
targe said:
Dalton is generally not considered to be 'true paleo' anymore but rather "proto-historic"...

Protohistoric? Guess I'm 1) to thick skulled to get it, or 2) it's pretty funny sarcasm -- maybe medieval next, or 3) I need to quit trying to read and respond to threads via an iphone.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
targe said:
On a slightly related note and one which has absolutely nothing to do with the OP of this thread....

Folks: there is NO SUCH THING as "Pre-Paleo". :BangHead: As is explained at the website in the link in the original post, "paleo" means "old" and "lithic" means "stone" so "paleolithic" means "Old Stone (age)" which is the oldest period.

So it's impossible to have something that is PRE-Oldest Period. :cussing:

It IS possible (and likely) that there is PRE-CLOVIS...but it's impossible to have "PRE PALEO". I just needed to vent about that and get it out of my system since I see that stupid claim on eBay all the time.

:angry9:

Okay, I'm done...for now...

Stop it, ya killin me... ;D

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 330
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 332

mootsman

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
targe said:
mootsman said:
targe said:
Dalton is generally not considered to be 'true paleo' anymore but rather "proto-historic"...

Protohistoric? Guess I'm 1) to thick skulled to get it, or 2) it's pretty funny sarcasm -- maybe medieval next, or 3) I need to quit trying to read and respond to threads via an iphone.

Actually, I screwed up: that should have been "Proto-ARCHAIC" as in formative Archaic.

That said, there IS a term "Proto-historic" although it's not really used that much. It means just before (European) contact period or just after European contact but before the Europeans had 'contacted' all of the Indians.

I'm certainly familiar with the term. That's why I thought you were being humorous -- as in suggesting the time period of the Dalton culture had been pushed forward to the contact period. And that's is also the reason that I suggested that it might next be moved to medieval times. Oh well, better to see humor that's not there than assume nefarious content like so many folks on the net tend to do...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread