Native American Artifact?

Sandsted

Apr 20, 2006
I've recently found this stone. At first, only being able to see a corner and one rut in the stone, I thought it was some type of freak water erosion. And I thought it was rather unique so I dug it up. But then I saw that it had a few more ruts so I thought it was hit by a disc or plow or something. But then as I got it fully out of the ground I found that these carvings go all the way around the stone and even if it were possible for a disc to carve consistently all the way around the stone, it would have had to repeatly hit it. Over and over again.

So I've concluded that it must be something else.

The only thing I can think of is some type of Native American tool or weapon.

But it doesn't look to be much use to my eye, but then I don't know a whole lot of Native American culture.

It has very deep carvings, and in each of them there is a thin line down the center.

It's rather large stone to be used in the matter of which I assume. It looks to be tied to something and it's measurements are about 19 cm wide, 15 cm in length and about 10 or 11 cm high.

I've included pictures to see the over shape of the stone. It also has on one side what appears to be a mostly natural cut into the stone so it makes tent sort of shape when lieing on the ground. (see pictures)

I found it on May 6th in Western (centralist...little North) Minnesota.

Any info or insites would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Copy of DSC000289.JPG
    Copy of DSC000289.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 574
  • Copy of DSC000turned on side.JPG
    Copy of DSC000turned on side.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 564
  • Copy of finger one.JPG
    Copy of finger one.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 553
  • four continent carving one.JPG
    four continent carving one.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 549
  • going around.JPG
    going around.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 547
  • side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 546
  • Copy of DSC000289.JPG
    Copy of DSC000289.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 549
  • Copy of DSC000turned on side.JPG
    Copy of DSC000turned on side.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 546
  • Copy of finger one.JPG
    Copy of finger one.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 561
  • four continent carving one.JPG
    four continent carving one.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 542
  • going around.JPG
    going around.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 535
  • side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sandsted

Sandsted

Apr 20, 2006
Where I found it may not be of aid, because I think it was actually moved. It was near a rock pile made by farmers rock picking. Near here there are many lakes and creeks go between them. I wouldn't say that it would be used within a mile of where it was found but if you walked aways there are places of water. And in recent years waters levels are rising, there are now large ponds on both sides of my road, one will in about another year, endanger the possibility of traveling through there. These ponds weren't even here 5 years ago.

One piece looks like it may have been chiped off due to weathering or something. It looks like a rope line goes around the spot and it's very rough. It's in the upper right corner, you can see it in the picture.

Besides the groove carvings I wouldn't say that the stone was altered any in size or shape. That all looks natural.

And I really believe it was moved, so there was nothing with it.

This weekend I'm going to go over to this pond about 400 meters from my house, there is something in that direction anyway, and that's a heavily, untouched forest area.

OP
OP
Sandsted

Sandsted

Apr 20, 2006
Hmmm, there were no trees near it. But on the crushing thing is this for tar roads or gravel?

There is a gravel round about 800 yards away, and there is no tar for about 1 1/2 or 2 miles.

I got to this by going down a minimum maintence road...well I suppose you wouldn't call it that. It's a dirt road that goes through my land.

OP
OP
Sandsted

Sandsted

Apr 20, 2006
It doesn't have much surface area to be for grinding, at least to my assumption, but I don't know what it is. Maybe when I get better at dowsing I can find out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread