I.D. possible unfinished pestle?

zoltan

May 10, 2008
This was given to me as a gift from a friend who found it here in Phoenix, AZ. It appears to my untrained eye to be an unfinished piece. The pecking around the bottom of the stone doesn't not go around completely. The top of the stone seems relatively damage free, as if it was not used extensively. The stone appears to be a basalt but I am not certain. Any help be greatly appreciated.

front view with pecking
finishedside.jpg

back view unfinished side
Picture068.jpg

one for scale
forscale.jpg

Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to say what it was going to be, maybe they used it like it is. Does it have any polish to it anywhere? maybe it was a club and the pecked area was for hafting? Some pcs just leave you guessing.

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
The groove looks like one that you would find on an axe or hammer. Does the bottom look jagged and rough or is it smooth and polished? From what I see in the photos, I would guess that it isn't a pestle but a broken hammer or possibly broken axe with the break occurring right at the groove. Though I'm not sure if these type of stone tools are found in Arizona.

OP
OP
Z

zoltan

May 10, 2008
The bottom of the piece is rough. Doesn't seem that jagged. I am thinking that it could be a broken piece the more I look at it. I might have to find a similar type rock and see how it breaks.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
As usual I think Th3rty7 is right on (and Cachefind too). There would be no reason to peck a groove around the end of a tool like that. Really neat find. I've never found so much as ever a broken piece of anything grooved.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Looks like a broken skull thumper to me. Add the other half hafted to a handle and it would be an excellent tool for hunting humans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread