Ft Ancient?

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
The past few days I have been going back through all the post since the start of this site. I have ran across many labled Ft Ancient in one way or another. Can some of you guys tell me exactly what this is suppost to be? I looked it up and it shows to be a state park. Is the state park one of many Ft Ancient sites or are the post being labled this coming from the surrounding area?

Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft. Ancient is the culture that existed right before the exploration/colonist arrived in North America. They are ancestors of todays Indians, and are recorded (1500 B.P.). They are recognized by the points they made. Steve will give you more info.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockiologist said:
So it is not just a site but a culture. That is what I was kind of looking for.

It's actually now thought that the Fort Ancient site near Lebanon, Ohio in Warren county was first built by the Hopewell Indians and then occupied later on by the Ft Ancient culture after it was abandoned.

FelineBossyElf, thanks for putting up that link. I wrote that article for Arrowheadology and was just getting ready to post the link my self.

F

Felinepeachy

SRV said:
Rockiologist said:
So it is not just a site but a culture. That is what I was kind of looking for.

It's actually now thought that the Fort Ancient site near Lebanon, Ohio in Warren county was first built by the Hopewell Indians and then occupied later on by the Ft Ancient culture after it was abandoned.

FelineBossyElf, thanks for putting up that link. I wrote that article for Arrowheadology and was just getting ready to post the link my self.

OMG!!!!! And it's a very good article.
MG_261.gif

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good article. Here in Tennessee they call much of that era the Dallas Phase or late Mississipian III to present and before that the Hiwasse/mouse creek phase and so forth.. Though we find similiar styles our seems to have been a diffrent style culture possibly. I think in the area SRV is they termed much of it fort ancient culture where in the same time frame here we had around 4 or 5 different distinct cultures emerge. It confused me also because I kept reading it as well and associated it with a widely distributed time frame but in actuality it was a pretty specific area.
Does this sound about right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Phase

OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
I guess from being in the south that time frame had always been known to me as Mississippian. That's why when I started reading it I felt so uneducated on the subject. Which happens a lot by the way!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockiologist said:
I guess from being in the south that time frame had always been known to me as Mississippian. That's why when I started reading it I felt so uneducated on the subject. Which happens a lot by the way!

It's the general consensus that the Ft Ancient and the Mississippian existed at the same time and were very similar but functioned independently of each other.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SRV said:
Rockiologist said:

It's the general consensus that the Ft Ancient and the Mississippian existed at the same time and were very similar but functioned independently of each other.

Hey Steve
Good reply. You have done much to document the Fort Ancient cultures and your knowledge has helped me out a lot. I remember when I found my first point that was a true style Fort Ancient and you gave me the I.D.
When TVA impounded the thousands of miles of river basins here we lost much about our similar cultures like Dallas that traveled at the same times. If you ever saw the movie "Deliverance" with Burt Reynolds where they put whole towns under water that is what we have here. I fish over early towns and cemetery's with the tombstones still standing. Same goes for many thousands of Indian sites under water. I have maps of large ceremonial and burial mounds under water that we fish. Here is a local area at winter pool when they drop the water for flooding.

Happy Holidays
TnMountains

Attachments

• Long_cemetery.jpg
    Long_cemetery.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 170
  • Long_cemetery.jpg
    Long_cemetery.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 166

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions