Very first arrowhead find (Arizona Apache)

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the first arrowhead I've ever found. I'm from southern Arizona and have been looking almost my entire life for one (I'm 31 years old). The fact that it's broken does not even bother me the slightest bit.
I found the arrowhead in southern Arizona in the Patagonia Mountains above a streambed in an area with lots of oak trees and whitetail deer. Its an excellent place for hunting deer as I'm sure it was also in the old days of the Apache. I found it while I was doing some hunting myself. It was not buried or anything, just sitting in the dirt. Length is about 1.25" from the top to bottom. Its made of quartz which is very abundant in the area. Particularly quartz crystals that are just laying all over the ground down there.
So what do you guys think? Any information you can tell me about this would be very much appreciated as I'm not very knowledgeable about these type of artifacts.
Thank you

5229290412_41a975c8c4_z.jpg

Upvote 0

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grey Ghost, Hey man, Congradulations. That is nice material. Quartz is real hard to work due to the crystaline makeup , and it's hard as hell. It sure is pretty though.
I do believe you've got something older than an Apache arrowhead. That is probably a stemmed dart point, and assuming somewhere mid archaic, puts it about 4500 years before The Apache nation came into being. Good luck. Lone Star

P

pickaway

Nice, I'd love to look around those parts of the country the Anasazi culture out that way is amazing...

F

Felinepeachy

Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaa!!! Now you'll be looking everywhere LOL

Congratulations.gif

Attachments

• Congratulations.gif
    Congratulations.gif
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,407
OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lone Star said:
Grey Ghost, Hey man, Congradulations. That is nice material. Quartz is real hard to work due to the crystaline makeup , and it's hard as hell. It sure is pretty though.
I do believe you've got something older than an Apache arrowhead. That is probably a stemmed dart point, and assuming somewhere mid archaic, puts it about 4500 years before The Apache nation came into being. Good luck. Lone Star

Thank you, information like this is exactly what I was looking for because like I said I don't know much about "points". I'm going to run off to google to check "stemmed dart points" and compare photos and learn about them. Thanks again.

pickaway said:
Nice, I'd love to look around those parts of the country the Anasazi culture out that way is amazing...

A few mountain ranges over from the Patagonia’s lie the Dragoon Mountains which have some petrogyphs that pre-date the Apache’s. I believe these were made by the Anasazi or “ancient ones” (?) if I’m correct. One place in particular I’m planning on visiting very soon called “Council Rocks” that is supposed to have a lot of petroglyphs.

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments guys.
Anyone else know anything about it or have anything to add?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point!!!..So how did it feel GreyGhost?? I can remember my first point. It was broke as well and I did not care either. I wanted to find another though. It started the obsession that exists in me today!!.............................GTP

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get-the-point said:
Nice point!!!..So how did it feel GreyGhost?? I can remember my first point. It was broke as well and I did not care either. I wanted to find another though. It started the obsession that exists in me today!!.............................GTP

It was awesome!
Really made my day, even made my week. After I found it I think it meant more to me than finding a big Coues buck (I got a good one last year anyways).
I was with my father too so that made it all the more special.
Something odd that happened was after I found it I continued up the hill I was hiking and he continued following the wash.
We were separated for about 30 mins and I headed back down the hill to find him. I let out a whistle and I heard someone whistle back at me up the hill I just came from, and not far from where I found the point.
After about a minute my father came walking up the wash behind me. I asked if he whistled at me and he said no. I don’t even think he knows how to whistle. We were in a pretty remote area too so it was kind of strange to say the least…
Was probably just an illegal alien tho :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread