My Best Find Ever!******new pics added towards the bottom somewhere......

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Photo386.jpg
    Photo386.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 7,704
  • Photo386.jpg
    Photo386.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 7,692
  • Photo390.jpg
    Photo390.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 7,498
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
Miami-valley-artifacts said:
Quite possibly the neatest rework/recycle of a point I have ever seen! Congrats

I talk to Matt, He says its 100% legit, and it is a first form.... He saw it in person and also got some good photos...

I guess I should have specified that I ment ancient rework/recycle. I just was noting how people were comparing it to a calf creek and calling it a half creek. It looks 100% to me, That is the first time I have ever seen anything like it and I'm really blown away by it. I want to find and example I can collect for myself. Is it a sharpened down calf creek or an all together different type? Scott

bg64vw

Jan 25, 2009
Strange, Ive seen a nearly exact point like that here in south central Ky and never seen another like it. The one here is absolutely flawless and appears to have been polished or ground down. It was dug from a cave and about 4 feet deep.

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
bg64vw said:
Strange, Ive seen a nearly exact point like that here in south central Ky and never seen another like it. The one here is absolutely flawless and appears to have been polished or ground down. It was dug from a cave and about 4 feet deep.
do you remember how it was classified as . just curious. :icon_scratch:

P

pickaway

Miami-valley-artifacts said:
Quite possibly the neatest rework/recycle of a point I have ever seen! Congrats

I agree,,, Nice find... :headbang:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Here's an update on this piece. Garrett brought it into the museum for me to fondle and photograph. It is an Calf Creek culture "Half Creek" point, as expected. It's a fantastic piece and the images really do it no justice. It is first form and shows only minimal signs of tool wear on one blade edge.

The material is Pierson Chert. Pierson is found throughout NW Arkansas and in the immediate vicinity of the Ozarks. It's typically found in blue/green or red hues. If you're familiar with St. Joe chert, it's very similar and often confused with the better quality pieces. It also resembles some of the higher grades of Reed Springs.....sexy stuff!

Garrett was kind enough to let me photograph the piece for posterity and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing a few of the images with you. I think they're too big to post directly on here and I am too lazy to resize the images (even though I did once already), so I'll just post a few links.

http://www.arrowheads1.com/images/artifactpics/half1.jpg

http://www.arrowheads1.com/images/artifactpics/Half.jpg

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal said:
Here's an update on this piece. Garrett brought it into the museum for me to fondle and photograph. It is an Calf Creek culture "Half Creek" point, as expected. It's a fantastic piece and the images really do it no justice. It is first form and shows only minimal signs of tool wear on one blade edge.

The material is Pierson Chert. Pierson is found throughout NW Arkansas and in the immediate vicinity of the Ozarks. It's typically found in blue/green or red hues. If you're familiar with St. Joe chert, it's very similar and often confused with the better quality pieces. It also resembles some of the higher grades of Reed Springs.....sexy stuff!

Garrett was kind enough to let me photograph the piece for posterity and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing a few of the images with you. I think they're too big to post directly on here and I am too lazy to resize the images (even though I did once already), so I'll just post a few links.

http://www.arrowheads1.com/images/artifactpics/half1.jpg

http://www.arrowheads1.com/images/artifactpics/Half.jpg

*********Thank you very much for the photos Neanderthal***********

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy going back and looking at this find. Rare is an understatement. Have you dug anymore at the spot to see if there may anymore? Imagine finding another one :hello2:
Congratulations on a really cool diffrent and obviously significant find.
HH

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Enjoy going back and looking at this find. Rare is an understatement. Have you dug anymore at the spot to see if there may anymore? Imagine finding another one :hello2:
Congratulations on a really cool diffrent and obviously significant find.
HH

Thanks TnMountains!
This is the only artifact that I have found at this spot.....I could always imagine finding another :icon_thumright:
I will definately enjoy it every day :)

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A SUPERB FIND INDEED!

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it was a lost lake that impact fractured so they got artsie with it, look like the middle has a bit of a rework in it

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthernGirl said:
I still just need to stop by and stare at this one once in a while.

Thanks a bunch SouthernGirl :icon_sunny:

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Bagman13 said:
Hello TNetters! I decided to go out early this morning and think that I scored :) I thought it was a regular blade until I saw that beautiful notch as I cleaned it (and myself :)). My best point, and best Christmas present to myself ever! My hands are still shaking! It's a very nice material for my area! Merry Christmas everyone!

Nice artifact!

(That's a lot of views, 10,000)

FranklinRad

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2011
Oh wow that is a nice find. I've been interested in Native American artifacts, but I have no idea where to start my research to even get out looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread