My Best Find Ever!******new pics added towards the bottom somewhere......

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Photo386.jpg
    Photo386.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 7,704
  • Photo386.jpg
    Photo386.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 7,692
  • Photo390.jpg
    Photo390.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 7,498
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Re: My Best Find Ever!

Bagman - where are you located? I can say with near certainty that it's not a Wheeler. Wrong in lots of way for a wheeler.

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Twitch......I am in NW Arkansas. Any help with the i.d. would be great!

arrowman

Dec 14, 2010
U.S.A.

Arkansas is way out of my area so I'm just guessing here. It may be a Calf Creek with one side completely worked off. It's a killer no matter what type it is! Congrats on a super find.

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!

I am thinking it might be a reworked Andince I think it might be the base and tang used to create what you have there . Not a expert though . Sweet point

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!

arrowman said:
Arkansas is way out of my area so I'm just guessing here. It may be a Calf Creek with one side completely worked off. It's a killer no matter what type it is! Congrats on a super find.

Notch would be to deep for a calf creek I am thinking .

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

OMG that made me catch my breath! What a find, WOW!!! We need Neanderthal to weigh in on this one. I know nothing, but I'm thinking reworked andice/calf-creek, and I'm voting banner. But I think you have to have at least 10 posts before a find can make the banner. Great find, and Merry Crhistmas! I bet you are still shaking :laughing9:

naturegirl

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

That's a pretty rare piece. It's what we call a "Half-Creek". They are Calf Creek culture and I know of around 5 of them that have been found. Most have been found in OK, with another one being found in KS. That's the first I've seen from AR. They are all very well made and some of them have extra very small notches in the base of the ears, and they can be serrated. Fred Pace in Tulsa has one of the best examples of them.

Where are you in ARK? I work in Bentonville and would love to see the piece in person sometime.

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for the comments. "Half Creek".......I never knew there was a half version......a friend of mine mentioned that he thought it was a Calf Creek culture type also. I should post a pic of a side profile and back side once my phone charges.

Thanks naturegirl.....I am still not believing I flipped that out.

That green material is rare for this area. I'm not sure of the flint type?

Neanderthal....I'd be glad to meet you wherever anytime. Shoot me an email with your #.

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as being reworked, it's my opinion that it is not a rework. If it was a rework, I'm not sure the knapper would have taken the time to re-knap both of the ears at the same angle. In case of a break, I think that I would have probably left the base horizontal, rather than reworking it to an angle to match the other ear. Also, it is a very thin piece with a pronounced median ridge. I've never seen anything quite like it before. I've really interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

K

Keokukjeff

It is a Calf Creek that has been reworked.....one ear has broken off and they re-used the piece as a knife
so what your looking at is a ear and stem....the other ear was what broke off
The stem is on the right in all your pictures.................
The angle of the ear and stem looks right...........just imagine the piece with the other ear on it,and it will should take form for you.
I have many Calf Creek pieces,but not one like that...............
Calf Creek culture are well known for reworked pieces
Looks like Reed Springs chert also it was made from.............
If you do a search for Calf Creek on the internet..........you should be able to get a look at some Calf Creek in different stages of use and wear.....

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

The examples I have personally examined didn't seem to have been reworked. They appear to be first form, with a well-defined median ridge straight up the center of the piece. They are unusual, that's for sure. They are all very thin, very well made and I would wager that they fall late in the Calf Creek sequence. As stated, the known examples of them are very small and they are almost always thought to be something else at first. I don't believe they are "practice pieces" and they sure aren't mistakes - not with this many being found.

I did find a picture of another one of them that I had on this hard drive. I have pictures of a few more, but will have to find them. I would love to look at your piece and photograph it (for posterity, if you wouldn't mind). This "Half Creek" was found in Oklahoma.

P.S. I agree this is a banner worthy find!

Attachments

• halfcreek.jpg
    halfcreek.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 7,403
OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the post Neanderthal.....thanks for the example.....mine has very faint serrations also along the sides.....

I appreciate the banner votes from everyone!.....hopefully it will make it! .....never thought I might have a chance at making the banner on Tnet :)

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.......that was the only point that I found......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread