newbie needing help IDing discoidal looking things

hiites

Greenie
Jan 19, 2011
Hello all,
I stumbled onto this forum a few days ago and noticed there are some very knowledgable people on here. I've collected a few artifacts over the years and there are a couple of things that I cant ID and havent been able to find any info about. Below is a photo (hopefully) of some of the things I've found over the years and below that is a couple of pics of what I'm trying to ID. I have found all of these items in SW Oklahoma. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• arrowheads 001.jpg
    arrowheads 001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 687
  • arrowheads 007.jpg
    arrowheads 007.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 511
  • arrowheads 008.jpg
    arrowheads 008.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Hey there! I cannot help you with ID currently, but I am in SW OK as well. My daughter really wants to start point hunting (I am an MD guy, myself) and would love some pointers. Obviously, you have found some already!

I will do some internet research if you want. Another suggestion is to email the pictures to the OU archeology department.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. I'm no expert, but looks like you have some nice celts and points from the Plains Village focus of the Wa$hita River Phase. Looks like you have some Alibates material that came from up north of Amarillo. I have found circular pottery discs with one hole in them at sites down there and assumed they might be pendants or drill weights. There's some guys on this site that can give you a lot of information as soon as they look your collection over though.

OP
OP
H

hiites

Greenie
Jan 19, 2011
Rginn, I've never heard of "Alibates material" before so I googled it and see that you are talking about the sort of red colored pieces. They do look like that material! I've often wondered where that material came from. I know that its not found in the area that I found these. I appreciate the info.

Soldier, I see that you are in Apache. I'm from Anadarko originally but live in Stillwater now. I found everything pictured around Anadarko. I don't know that I have many pointers for you except keep yours eyes open spend alot of time in likely places, along rivers, creeks or along old rivers or creeks. You know, where a river changed course but you can tell where it used to run. Look for things that don't look quite natural. Also, go looking after big rains and look in the bottoms of any eroded areas you see after rains.

OP
OP
H

hiites

Greenie
Jan 19, 2011
Libralabsoldier, you could do a lot of looking in the Wichita Mountains down in your area. Native Americans have been roaming that area for centuries.

OP
OP
H

hiites

Greenie
Jan 19, 2011
Rginn, I'm curious what you saw that gave away the area of the Washita River. I'm impressed.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hiites, like RGINN I too find a lot of Pottery and Stones Discs with either one hole or no hole at all but I have never found one multiple holes like yours. The ones I find in southern Ohio came from Ft Ancient culture sites that date from around 950 to 1650 AD and I'd be willing to bet yours are from around the same age. My guess is they belong to the Caddo Culture. Look up Caddo on Google and you might find your answers.

It is speculated that ours are either Game Pieces or Spindle Whorls. My guess is your were probably Pendants.

Here's some pictures of the type I find.

FeurtSiteFinds270.jpg

101_0884.jpg

Discs8.jpg

GoldcampSiteFinds3.jpg

SchislerSite.jpg

Pics-401.jpg

Beads0006.jpg

Beads008.jpg

New14-2.jpg

OP
OP
H

hiites

Greenie
Jan 19, 2011
SRV, very nice collection and thanks for the feedback. Its the multiple holes that has me stumped. Is there a visual clue that you are picking up on to say that they are likely Caddoan or the fact they are from SW Oklahoma? You guys are much more knowledgable about this stuff than I am.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
We got some snow here, which is great. We have not had any precipitation for a few months now, and the soil is hard as a rock.

Hiites, I know a good bit about the history here, I guess I am going to hit up some of the smaller tributaries of E. Cache creek once it warms up. Or Boxelder.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hiites I grew up in Caddo County Oklahoma so I recognized what you had. My very first point I found in the cottonfield when I was about 6 years old was of Alibates. It was good material, much sought after, and a valuable trade item, so I recognized it right off. I been to Texas where they quarried that. Archeologists believe these folks were the ancestors of the Wichitas, and they could be, but their houses were different, and more like the houses of the Caddo. For more info, hook up with Docman, as he's down there by Clinton and knows a lot. Check with OU, the Oklahoma Archaeological Survey, and see if you can get ahold of Dr. Richard Drass. He's done a lot of research in SW OK. Coolest archy I know. (He's an arrowhead hunter just like most of us, too)

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
My daughter is itching to go once the weather warms up, ever since she found that as of yet unidentified chisel like point she found in the gravel on the playground.

Since I do not know where the gravel came from, I cannot say it is indigenous.

OP
OP
H

hiites

Greenie
Jan 19, 2011
Thanks for the link Pickaway! The disks in the attached figure shows one with multiple holes. Seems there is a lot of speculation as to their use but not any concensus. Thanks for the info.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice stuff there hiites! I've found alibates flakes here in NE Okla. but not a whole point yet. Welcome to tnet, there is an artifact/arrowhead show in Stillwater in June I think.

naturegirl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread