DSC00083.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super collection of drills. I like the different designs. Check with Sarah Palin for a drilling demonstration. She knows all about it. LOL

OP
OP
I

in.rockhntr

Feb 28, 2011
SE IN.
catherine1 said:
Super collection of drills. I like the different designs. Check with Sarah Palin for a drilling demonstration. She knows all about it. LOL
Thanks Catherine and I think I'll pass on asking Sarah. lol

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I have read and what I have tried the drills were mounted on shafts just like arrowheads. Two methods that seem to work the best : For drilling quick holes in leather, wood or bone just putting the shaft between two palms and moving the palms forward and back works quite well. For bigger jobs like drilling slate, stone or shell a block of wood was used with a partial hole to put downward pressure on the shaft. A small bow is used to spin the shaft just like you have seen to start fires. It works quite well.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
catherine1 said:

You might want to check with her daughter. I think she's been drilled a few times herself.

Seruiously though, I can't access it from work, but if Google "how flint drills were used" and go to Videos it brings up quite a few from YouTube for you to check out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread