The tale of the not so nice "land owner" (More Pictures Added of Blade)

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
The tale of the not so nice "land owner" (More Pictures Added of Blade)

Alright, I must first start off by saying, I respect land owners and their property, I call before going on land, and everyone I met that has land and arrowhead hunts has been nice and told me all that they find. So with that I start my little story and what happens afterwords. Sorry if it gets long.

It starts off with my wife and I walking one of our favorite creeks. One we call Little Ol' Faithful. When we get to the bridge to get down to the creek she takes off downstream and I head upstream. I walk upstream back and forth looking for any artifacts, but to no avail, I was only finding modern trash. It was getting close to time for me to turn around because it was starting to get dark. I said to myself only two more bends and then time to head back. Well, about this time I see a man standing on the banks of this creek. Mind you to get from the bottom of this creek to the farm land is about a 8-10 foot steep clay embankment most of the time. He asks me if I know were I am. I reply the name of the creek. He goes on to tell me that this water is not navigable so I should turn back. I inform him that yes right now it is not, but this creek is navigable. He goes on to tell me things like he don't like seeing footsteps in the creek, why am not picking up all the trash if I am walking it, and the best one is that the creek is a drainage ditch that was put in years ago and that it is on no map and I should turn around. I continue to explain to him that this is not a drainage ditch it is a creek, in fact it crosses at another road farther upstream. I could tell he was getting mad because he knew I was right in everything I was stating. Finally I asked him why do you hate seeing people here so much, because he told me earlier he has run other people out of the creek, and I got out of him this quote... "Because I like to walk this creek". So, I got to the bottom line, he likes to hunt this section of creek also. I tell him good day and head up stream a little more, then turn around because I am loosing daylight.

When I get back home I tell my wife of the little encounter I had. She wants to continue farther upstream since he is being so protective of his hunting area. So the next day we head there on the 18th of March (the next day). The owner never comes again, and about 50 yards from were I stopped the day before farther up stream my wife finds the nice adena blade pictured below. So to the over protective person, Had you not been so defensive about this area, we may have never traveled farther upstream looking, and I thank you for it, for had you not we would not have found this.

Attachments

• 0318111122.jpg
    0318111122.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 680
Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The tale of the not so nice "land owner"

Nice story. Beautiful Adena Blade!! It looks thin. Thanks for posting!

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio

I am glad you called his bluff and didn't allow him to push you around. It's also good to know the laws that pertain to a cituation like that. In arrowhead hunting, I like to think that the early bird gets the worm.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an awesome blade.
Can you post a pic of a side veiw so we can see how thin it is?

OP
OP
werleibr

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Re: The tale of the not so nice "land owner" (Pictures Added)

Here are pictures that were requested. Does anyone know how to get the algae and mud off of the bottom of this blade without damaging it?

Attachments

• DSCN2748.JPG
    DSCN2748.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 512
  • DSCN2749.JPG
    DSCN2749.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 548
  • DSCN2750.JPG
    DSCN2750.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 539
  • DSCN2751.JPG
    DSCN2751.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 540
  • DSCN2752.JPG
    DSCN2752.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 539

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: The tale of the not so nice "land owner" (More Pictures Added of Blade)

Your wife has an eye for BEAUTY!!! Sweet find. Mean ole land owner >:(

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

psst who says he REALLY WAS THE LAND OWNER ? DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE HE WAS? because it could have been just another arrowhead hunter who likes to hunt there trying to "block off" the area to you --SO HE ACTS LIKE THE "LAND OWNER" HOPING TO SCARE YOU OFF . :wink: :icon_thumright: --some folks do not like to share or play nice. --- a real land owner most likely would threaten to call the cops at the very least if they thought you were "tresspassing"

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
psst who says he REALLY WAS THE LAND OWNER ? DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE HE WAS? because it could have been just another arrowhead hunter who likes to hunt there trying to "block off" the area to you --SO HE ACTS LIKE THE "LAND OWNER" HOPING TO SCARE YOU OFF . :wink: :icon_thumright: --some folks do not like to share or play nice. --- a real land owner most likely would threaten to call the cops at the very least if they thought you were "tresspassing"

Yeah, I had a guy try to chase me off 'his' land when mushroom hunting. Turned out it wasn't his.

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
Re: The tale of the not so nice "land owner" (Pictures Added)

werleibr said:
Here are pictures that were requested. Does anyone know how to get the algae and mud off of the bottom of this blade without damaging it?
You might get it to clean up with a weak solution of water and chlorine bleach.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would leave the discoloration intact.
Beautiful piece. The patina authenticates it.

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa

First off I would not clean that patina off.

Are you sure of the laws in your state? I know that here with the navigable waterways laws, the landowner owns all the rocks, sand, logs, trees, ect. the only thing thats public owned is the water and the wildlife. So depending on the law in MO, you may be able to be there but not take or alter anything. I don't want to nit pick it but it just looked like a one sided post, and I may not completly agree with it. It may be a grey area and I'm not saying I would abide by it either, just sayin.

OP
OP
werleibr

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia

Thanks for the information on cleaning. We will leave it be.

Second, we bought a plattbook and it turns out it was the guys son, but the guy still states that this creek is unnavigable and such. Found out from his wife before I got word from the land owner that, him, his sons, and a friend who is an avid collector walk that portion of the stream.

all_atv, you do have a good point on missouri laws. from what we can find is Missouri is a low water mark state. So, we can travel the stream in the low water mark or current condition as long as we are in the water.

If anyone else in Missouri wants to interject that would be great.

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO

Hmm, I'm not a good one to ask on this, lol. I tend to go where ever there is water...lol. If a land owner tells me not to come I won't come back, as long as I know it's the land owner. Some of the creeks I hunt travel past the land owners I know and I just keep going. I stay in the creek and make little noise, ninja like, lol. I've only gone to a couple creeks where I didn't have permission to see if it was worth the hassle of finding out who the land owner was, they weren't worth the hassle.

Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission...lol. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread