Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MObushwhacker said:
Sorry but I see just a rock....................

Don't be sorry. 99.9% of "experts" on this site identify many authentic artifacts as rocks or "Geofacts" hahaha. One of my most valuable items identified by a true expert, was labled a "geofact" here for the longest time :laughing7: Its not your fault. 99.9% of the folks here have no clue about Virginia artifacts and this site specific site so with all of the best intentions. they identify anything without clear flaking as a rock :D I almost did not share this here because I knew the waves of rock chuckers would roll in hahah but decided that it might be worth it to assist some other poor collector out there who wonders why everything that he/she posts, is called a rock so fast. When I first joined this site, I hung my Head in shame when the rock screamers came out. but time has passes and I am no longer new at this. The woman who identified my favorite "geofact" as a super cool Morrow Mountain should know what she is talking about, as she is a Smithsonian resource. I live 45 minutes from the Museums :icon_thumleft: now... before the cries of "give us here name" go up.... she does not want to be involved in an internet site brewhaha. so, dont ask haha. Anyway... thanks for looking and have a great week :hello2:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
please give me well us some photos. i can not study videos [they keep moving].. like i can good photos like i have seen on your posts before. thank you i am still learning! i am no expert but going by what i think i saw in the video, could that be a hook to help in gutting fish? like i said still learning so maybe i am on the edge of that .1%!!! Terry

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
Does a rock chucker really chuck rocks?....
You're right I am not an expert and I have never found a artifact in Virginia. But I have been hunting and collecting Central American and North American Indian artifacts for sixty years The morrow of the story is if you believe its a real artifact then frame it. But too me the video pictures, from what I can see is no more then a fracture rock. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MObushwhacker said:
Does a rock chucker really chuck rocks?....
You're right I am not an expert and I have never found a artifact in Virginia. But I have been hunting and collecting Central American and North American Indian artifacts for sixty years The morrow of the story is if you believe its a real artifact then frame it. But too me the video pictures, from what I can see is no more then a fracture rock. :tongue3:

Great points and clearly you are a avid collector who knows your stuff :icon_thumleft: If this artifact had been found in any of the places that you hunt.... I would agree with you that it is simply a rock. Thats why it is so important to fully understand the areas and specific sites in which we hunt. being that this was found where it was and being that I know the material, the location, the types of artifacts at this site has everything to do with my 100% correct I.D. in this case ;D I hunt this site just about every day and know what is natural and what is not. In this site...... mother nature does not create Morrow Mountains, blades and scrapers hahaha. When a rock is worked on one side... tapered down to a super fine edge and is at a site that produses endless points of many materials (see my pother video), then.... it is what it is and yea man.... its a keeper :hello2:

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
airborne, its hard to tell from the video, so a pic or two would be more helpful! There are a gabillion rocks on the ground everywhere, including VA, that you/I/anyone can pick up and say "wow, look at the edge, or it fits my hand just right". I've picked up and thrown back many upon many, and have taken that many more home and they end up in the garden or the flower bed, and then a few of the "looks like something" rocks that i keep just to show and hear others opinions. I've been to many artifact shows. It is stressed that these shows only allow "ANCIENT" artifacts. Also they stress "AUTHENTIC". So, my main point is that to be able to prove "ANCIENT/AUTHENTIC" we have to be able to "IDENTIFY" the rock/artifact first, or to some degree! The main point is that we cannot identify your rock at this moment without pictures or more. Until then its just a rock or geofact or a maybe! You said you are no longer new to the "just a rock screamers". Me too, as I've held my head in shame also, but to say 99% of the "experts" on this site are wrong many times because you have a "true expert" is really rude! Its tough to judge from a picture, and easy to be rude behind a screen, and I'm sure 99% of the "users/not true experts" on this site may be offended by your remarks! Just saying that we are all here to learn and enjoy and all we get are pictures to learn and enjoy from!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
airborne you are a nice guy and truly a wonderful master to charlie
but please give us a little credit here and believe what we are trying to tell you
and most of all please give prehistoric man a little more credit,
he was way more capable of making a cutting tool instead of using a broken piece of granite or whatever kind of non-workable stone that is
you can romance that rock until kingdom come and you won't switch it into an artifact
i'm sure deep down inside you must know this, you won't find even one person on this forum that would disagree with what i just said
don't get upset with me, you have a lot of nice artifacts and every body on this forum will agree
larson1951

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with the majority here on this. I doubt I would even bend over and pick that piece up if I flipped it out with my stick. I don't see any obvious work whatsoever on that piece in that video.

Sorry, but I say natural rock too.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok Ok...... I took anther look at it. You are all correct. I don't know what got into me. Maybe it was the cold medication. Sorry for the false info. Huggs and kisses ;D Thanks eveyone :)
P.S.

I have tossed the rock into the garden. Over. :-X :-X

P.S.S.

I really do deeeeply apologize to anyone I have offended. Please forgive me. please.

I will pull down the post later today. I just want the folks who I have hurt, to get a chance to see this update. I want them to be made whole again. So we can move on. Get past this..... this rock incident.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hey airborne! You're an all right guy! Just laugh this off, go on, :laughing7: laugh, best cure for anything :hello2: Danged ol' rocks anyway! ;D

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Hey airborne! You're an all right guy! Just laugh this off, go on, :laughing7: laugh, best cure for anything :hello2: Danged ol' rocks anyway! ;D

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions