A Few Stone Artifacts

dishinet

Jun 18, 2006
Mississippi
Atlantis -

Those are some Beautiful Pieces my friend!! You sure do have some Awesome pieces!! Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I say a couple more months and i'll be hitting the local lake here. Just needs to drop about 5-6 more feet. Good luck to you on that lake hunt. HH

Dishinet

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis,

Awesome...you have more "rocks" in northern LA than I do down here in the swamps. That Catahoula point is a beauty.

;) River

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Hey Badandy,

You know the strange thing here is that you find mostly full grooved axes. Rare though they are. Dr. Webb once told me that if I found one good axe in 20 years of searching in Louisiana to consider myself lucky.....well guess I got lucky. But mostly what I see in collections here are full grooved....what the locals always refer to as "tommyhawks."

I wish we had the nice granite or marble type stone they have further north, then we could get some really nice axes with good size. Normally the ones here are on the smallish side. I did get one out of Toledo Bend that weighs about 6 pounds though, pretty hefty for here.

Here are a couple of photos of an "iron ore" type axe. Not a great specimen. I found it in two parts last year....didn't realize until I got it home and cleaned it up that they matched. This is another type of material that tends to fall apart as it dries out so must be sealed to prevent continued cracking.

Happy Hunting

Atlantis

Attachments

• ironoreax 001.jpg
    ironoreax 001.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 381
  • ironoreax 002.jpg
    ironoreax 002.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 378

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions