jacks reef corner notched point

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Terry - I'm no expert but I'll explain my thinking. First, don't look into any books on type. Just think of bow hunting. Two factors come into play in my mind, arrow weight and hafting width. The point in the picture is too large (wide and thick) to be a practical arrowhead. Also consider that it appears to be resharpened meaning it was originally larger than it's already too large size to be an arrowhead. Second is hafting width. Generally on arrowheads the width of the haft is basically the same as the width of the arrow shaft. I assume that balance in size adds to the stability of the headed arrow. Those two issues alone for me make this point not an arrowhead.

I think people put way too much emphasis on the outline shape of the point. As SRV pointed out (no pun intended), the flaking does not appear to be that of the intrusive mound people, it looks early archaic. Most points I've found do not fit a perfect 'that's a so and so' point. It becomes more important to understand traits over time in an area. I've been fortunate to find a couple of decent Jack's Reef's and a handful of brokes so I have an idea of what traits I've commonly seen in them and this point doesn't exhibit those traits (size, weight, flaking, style). I've also been fortune enough to find a number of early archaic corner notch blades and a bunch of brokes. This point could also be a middle woodland Hopewell piece. I found a very similar point in KY that's Hopewell (decent description in one of Red Tully's books).

There are some very smart people on this site and I'm not one of them. I've never bought or sold a point so I don't have a very extensive collection. That being said, the points, pieces and other artifacts I have found, I spend a good deal of time analyzing and trying to understand them. Thinking through why as well as how points are made is helpful. Based on that limited experience I make guestimatees of what I think certain artifacts are. I'm wrong a lot and and it doesn't hurt my feelings when I figure that out, it's a good opportunity to learn.

Thanks,
Joe

J

JoshnMO

tmodel said:
Twitch!! could you tell or show me why you say that Au seeker s point is not a arrowhead so can not be a jacks reef corner notched point? thank you for your responce because i am sure you will answer my question! Terry

Dang Twitch :nono: ;D

I know nobody asked me just thought it to be a funny ( :tongue3:) thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread