I need some terminology help...

pat (chicago)

Oct 27, 2004
highland park
Detector(s) used
explorer se excal2
I was visiting friends who live on a farm in Wisconsin yesterday. They showed me a large "arrow head" that has an unusual cutting edge. All of the arrow heads I have seen have a cutting edge that is like a knife edge in that the cutting edge is in the middle of the projectile. This on has a "beveled edge" and the cutting edge is at the bottom (or top) on both sides- almost a 45 degree angle! When flipped over the same is true of the other side.

What is this type of edge called? What is the "normal" edge called called? My sister in law took a cell phone picture of this piece and another "normal" piece. I will try to post later.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hello Pat!! and welcome to Tnet AIA forum from Tmodel!! on the eastern highland rim of tennessee. your point is what is called a beveled edged piece possible a knife. the beveled edge is formed as it is resharpend by flaking from the same side, the more it is resharpend the steeper the angle. hope this was stated clear enought to help. Terry

OP
OP
P

pat (chicago)

Oct 27, 2004
highland park
Detector(s) used
explorer se excal2
Re: I need some terminology help...pictures added

Can't really see what I am talking about...its about 3.5 inches-4 inches long.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 299

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Pat!! i missed one of your ????? the first time, all i have ever heard was cutting edge. somebody out there come back with the real name for the normal edge on a point for Tmodel!! and Pat!! Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread