Effigy???

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This looks like it was made,,as in worked. There is an eye, the outline of the cheek area and even a hair line when you see it from the front. The back has a cruder eye, not much work on that side. The skull area has been worked a lot. Little chips,,,and lots of them. The pics are not great so a little imagination might be needed. In person,,,its really neat. So your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated,,but go easy, let me down softly, I`m new at this. Thanx!! OK, the pictures are,,,front, front, back and skull.

Attachments

• DSC00986 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00986 (800x600).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 578
  • DSC00981 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00981 (800x600).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 581
  • DSC00984 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00984 (800x600).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC00986 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00986 (800x600).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC00982 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00982 (800x600).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 574
Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
You're right, the pics aren't good.
Here are some suggestions for better photos.
Take the rock out of your hand. Put it on the bricks in the foreground. Your camera is adjusting it's contrast to your hand and the grass and snow, not to the colors in the rock.
Get as close as possible to the rock when you take the picture. Fill the frame. You only want to see brick in the background, no grass. Your camera is trying to keep everything in focus. Thus your hand and the yard are clear but the rock is out of focus.
The natural outdoor light is good.
I know more about photography than I do about artifacts so my opinion is worth what it cost you. It looks possible to me. I think I see working on it also. Are you finding anything else in the area?

OP
OP
tncreeker

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tried to modify, I had better pics to post. Well it let me take the crappy ones off but then wouldnt let me add new ones. Then the dog had to go outside, then he got in the stinky pond and needed a bath. So I`m gonna try again, maybe I`ll just re-post? Stay tuned,,,,,I`ll name it Effigy2 OKEEDOKEE,,,,,,I got the pics up there. I`m a friggin geeneus.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Congrats on the pics! I'll guess it's not an effigy, a wise one on this forum said something like, if they set out to make an effigy, then it looks like an effigy without a lot of imagination, there will be little doubt as to what you think it is. I do think that's just an interesting rock, hopefully you'll get a more definitve answer.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with naturegirl. While it is a very cool looking rock that does resemble a profile of a face, it is just a rock formed that way by Mother Nature. Like she said, when they decided to do an Effigy of something there was very little doubt left as to what it represented.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Creeker!! hope you have not let them talk you into throwing you effigy away, because you have a very unique artifact as Sky Pilot!! told me in [effigy for Airborne] about my aviator. Terry

OP
OP
tncreeker

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terry,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am absolutly not throwing it away. I`m going to get it wrapped I think, as in a necklace. I am going to have it looked at by someone in person first. Even if they say no,,,,it is still going to be special to me. I still believe somebody did this and then carried it with them for a long time. Its like a well worn stone, smooth like its been rubbed down over time. I love it either way. So thanx again ;D
Lori

OP
OP
tncreeker

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe I found this in Long Creek in Parrottsville TN. Its in the Del Rio area. If slag is that glass that is a by-product of smelting or whatever :dontknow: then its not slag. It`s a shiny rock, like the chert that points are made of. Still looking for more rock info though, if I get it figured out I`ll let you know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread