ARTIFACTS, ARCHAEOLOGY & THE ANCIENT ONES

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARTIFACTS, ARCHAEOLOGY & THE ANCIENT ONES

IF YOU SCAN DOWN AND LOOK AT THE PICTURES FIRST, YOU WILL GET A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT THIS POST IS ABOUT.

A little about each picture:
1) The two "war club heads" were found in a heavily wooded area, near the bases of an unusually shaped tree and a V shaped tree that had a large rock wedged between them. I also showed them to a friend of mine that is an archaeologist/knapper/teacher/this/that. He can feel things and after seeing the area assured me as to what they are and that they were used by the ancient ones. Yea, right.
2) The glyphs (rock art) were found in a cave in Utah
3) The leaf point was found near Parker, Colorado and the pottery chard came from near a hot spring in New Mexico. The dime (used for size comparison) came from change at a local supermarket....lol.

NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

The two "war club heads", aside from their unusual shapes, show absolutely NO sign of being worked by human hands. Could they actually be war club heads?? I guess anything is possible but with no other indication, the claim is based on nothing more then imagination (simply put, they are rocks). Because of their natural shape however they could be prime candidates to be worked into these things as well as others.

The glyphs were in fact found in a cave in Utah where they are still located. They are on the wall just inside of the cave entrance. Searching for glyphs (especially those that have not been previously located) has been a long enjoyed hobby. Also, I enjoy reproducing these glyphs onto rock and sell them at various events from PowWows to gun shows. I hand peck them as the early artists did and only use paint (all natural plant paints that I make myself) if the originals had it. In this case the white is actually the color of the rock when it is marked. These tell a story as most do. Just for fun, can anyone tell me the story these glyphs tell??

The leaf point was found while surface hunting on the edge of a small canyon, near a large rock shelter, near Parker, Colorado. The pottery chard was in the sand next to a pool, downstream from a hot spring. My girlfriend and I had been skinny dippin and were drying off in the sun on a blanket when she found it in the sand. We actually found several dozen pieces before we hiked out the next day.

MY POINT

I admit that I wrote this post in responce to an insult thrown at me, by the originator of another thread, for asking a perfectly honest question. This response however is not meant to be ridicule but in fact, educational.

Archaeology is not an exacting science. Merely finding an odd shaped stone, even if found in a known artifact producing area, does not an artifact make. In the case of the ....war club heads.... only their general shape would possibly catch the eye as it did ours. Their is no context to make any further assumption from. These rocks my girlfriend and I gathered because of my glyph carving hobby and when I decided to make this posting she suggested I use them as an example.

Anyone who makes unfounded assumptions, especially concerning artifacts, leaves themselves open to ridicule. To be abusive in their responses to perfectly legitimate questions shows not only poor manners but a general lack of intelect as well. I know of no legitimate archaeologists (and I know many) that would speculate as to what a particular item was thats only claim is that its shape is unusual.

Ancient inhabitants of this country had learned to live as part of their natural world, not attempt to modify the environment to suit themselves. This is why they were so successful and created vast civilizations while Europeans were still experiencing the dark ages. They learned to utilize items found within their environment to create the tools they needed for their needs. In creating these items they worked them and by so doing they left marks by which these tools can be identified (not always to their actual use but identified as to have being worked into something). Again, just having an unusual shape does not an artifact make.

I've been searching for artifacts and TH'ing in general for a long time and have a pretty fair knowledge of the subject but a day doesn't go by that I don't learn something new. There are many very knowledgeable people here on TN and their posts show me how much I still have to learn. The quest for knowledge is eternal. Maybe that's why the fields of treasure hunting and archaeology appeal to me so much. Several times I have posted "what is its" and either have had them identified or they still remain in the what is it collection....lol. Other times I've posted items that I believed to be one thing and was shown that the posting was actually more likely to be something else and why. I thank Cannonman, Eric, and the others for their input on these posts.

Keep an open mind. Listen to various opinions. Weigh all of the information you get then form your own opinion. This is far more effective then depending on the opinion of a single individual that may be telling you merely "what you want to hear". If you use sound scientific principles, you may not always come to the correct conclusion but you will, in every instance, come to a conclusion that is reasonable for the information available and one that is open to change as more evidence becomes available. As stated before. Archaeology is not an exacting science and what may be truth today can change with a single new discovery.
Deepsix

Attachments

• 000_1142.jpg
    000_1142.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 000_1143.jpg
    000_1143.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 654
  • 000_1144.jpg
    000_1144.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Re: ARTIFACTS, ARCHAEOLOGY & THE ANCIENT ONES

Hi deepsix,

First I think the glyph says,"rain swollen river sweeps rider from horse" Second, I think you should paint those war clubs with red war markings ;)

bm

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bean man said:
Hi deepsix,

First I think the glyph says,"rain swollen river sweeps rider from horse" Second, I think you should paint those war clubs with red war markings ;)

bm

LMAO!!!! Not a bad idea, a little blood can go a long way. I have those slated for some special glyphs though. Ya missed the meaning of these glyphs but better luck next time. Thanx for the try though.
Deepsix

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Deepsix, I applaud you and your post. That was one of the most intelligent posts that I have read on this forum. I agree with you and thank you for penning it much better than I could have.

Matt

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Matt R said:
Deepsix, I applaud you and your post. That was one of the most intelligent posts that I have read on this forum. I agree with you and thank you for penning it much better than I could have.

Matt

Thanx for the post Matt. Take a shot at deciphering the glyphs.
Deepsix

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Depicting a storm? Iconology is a bit strange for me. I have noticed that alot of the "experts" contradict themselves alot in it. I have Cunkles book on symbols, and a few others and still end up scratching my head. Is the top symbol a depiction or rain and the bottom right wind? I have no idea..lol. It's a very neat piece though.

Matt

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Matt R said:
Depicting a storm? Iconology is a bit strange for me. I have noticed that alot of the "experts" contradict themselves alot in it. I have Cunkles book on symbols, and a few others and still end up scratching my head. Is the top symbol a depiction or rain and the bottom right wind? I have no idea..lol. It's a very neat piece though.

Matt

Not bad but I guess the photo is a bit deceiving. There is a distinct ridge along the surface that doesn't show well in the picture (just as there is in the rock of the cave) The artist seemed to have picked this particular spot in the cave for that reason. There are actually 63 different glyphs in the cave. Some tell stories while others stand alone. The upper left symbol is actually facing up not down as the symbol for rain would be. Also, the rain symbol generally has only three lines extending down from it. You did some research, that's always a good thing. Actually, this glyph has nothing to do with water. For this glyph, should you research the Hopi and Navajo glyphs you would find the meaning.
Deepsix

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Deepsix- well put, trust me, I feel your frustration when people post pictures of rocks and insist that they have something. (or their archaeology friend insists they have something) Some people just can't handle the truth. Did you read my post "over there" before it got deleted?

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cannonman17 said:
Deepsix- well put, trust me, I feel your frustration when people post pictures of rocks and insist that they have something. (or their archaeology friend insists they have something) Some people just can't handle the truth. Did you read my post "over there" before it got deleted?

Yes I did, thanx. ;)

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

I think it's kind of ironic that some people say we need to all work together to help others out here but it seems to me it only applies if you tell them what they think they already know. I always thought that helping others out and helping them to learn about artifacts and the hobby in general should also mean pointing out not only what is an artifact but what is not an artifact.

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cannonman17 said:
I think it's kind of ironic that some people say we need to all work together to help others out here but it seems to me it only applies if you tell them what they think they already know. I always thought that helping others out and helping them to learn about artifacts and the hobby in general should also mean pointing out not only what is an artifact but what is not an artifact.

You have that right on the button my friend. It's a shame really but it's their loss, not ours. Until they see that, they will rarely, if ever, experience the feeling of holding something created in another age by a craftsman living in a time we can only imagine and at best attempt to recreate.
Deepsix

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Very well said. To hold something from the ancient ones is a thrill, one everyone should be able to experience but most won't. (I wanna go home, heavy rain last night, might get shot it's hunting season but gotta go as soon as work is over.)
A wild guess......... Light my journey home?

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Very well said. To hold something from the ancient ones is a thrill, one everyone should be able to experience but most won't. (I wanna go home, heavy rain last night, might get shot it's hunting season but gotta go as soon as work is over.)
A wild guess......... Light my journey home?

Hi country Girl:

Not bad, it is about a journey but not that one. I'm really surprised that so few have tried and that no one has hit on it. I guess I could make it a little more interesting. Hmmmm, maybe I should offer it as a prize to the first one tha correctly ID's it. It could get people interested enough to do a little research. What do you think??
Deepsix

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cap Z. said:
I believe if the glyphs were transcribed correctly...with white- out on a chunk of coprolite...

It might well be a clue when the rain will come and time to plant cannabis.....

;)

Cap Z.

LMAO!!!! How ya doin Cappy. I would have been very disappointed had you not posted something like this. Sorry but you don't win it. Anyway, in the Southwest where these particular glyphs are located the preferred ceremonial drug was usually peyote. Have a good one Cappy.
Deepsix

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ancient inhabitants of this country had learned to live as part of their natural world, not attempt to modify the environment to suit themselves.

It is true that ancients lived with their natural environment. As for modifying it they were quite adept at it. Ancient ones knew when to burn off the country side to rid themselves of unwanted plants assuring only the desired ones were dominant. Irrigation was done on a large scale to the point that large populations could live in arid areas such as the S.West and the Pacific coast of S. America. Large cities with major construction feats were abundant.
Much new evidence by archaeologists prove the population of Central America at the time of Columbus was greater than all of Europe, (and much healthier). Here in N. America the population was quite large and complex. Alas European diseases and ignorance killed off most of the knowledge before anyone had a chance to record it.
Charles Mann has recently written "1491" which outlines much of what has been learned in the last couple of decades on what the continents were like before Columbus. Well researched and informative. Millions of inhabitants living over tens of thousands of years is one reason for the abundance of artifacts we cherish so much.

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

newnan man said:
Ancient inhabitants of this country had learned to live as part of their natural world, not attempt to modify the environment to suit themselves.

It is true that ancients lived with their natural environment. As for modifying it they were quite adept at it. Ancient ones knew when to burn off the country side to rid themselves of unwanted plants assuring only the desired ones were dominant. Irrigation was done on a large scale to the point that large populations could live in arid areas such as the S.West and the Pacific coast of S. America. Large cities with major construction feats were abundant.
Much new evidence by archaeologists prove the population of Central America at the time of Columbus was greater than all of Europe, (and much healthier). Here in N. America the population was quite large and complex. Alas European diseases and ignorance killed off most of the knowledge before anyone had a chance to record it.
Charles Mann has recently written "1491" which outlines much of what has been learned in the last couple of decades on what the continents were like before Columbus. Well researched and informative. Millions of inhabitants living over tens of thousands of years is one reason for the abundance of artifacts we cherish so much.

You missed the point completely and are looking at the accomplishments of the indigenous peoples as modifying their environment when in fact they actually used the natural flow of the environment to it's best potential, unlike the European invaders. Have a good one.
Deepsix

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If thousands of miles of canals, damming streams, terracing entire mountain sides to grow maize is not modifying land to suit a purpose I stand corrected. The mother earth/father sky rationale is very romantic but not sound history. Millions of people cannot live in a environment and fail to modify it.
There are mounds here in Florida so large that the entire town of Chokoloskie and Everglades city is built on top of them. It was a tidal swamp before the natives began shucking shellfish and building high ground. Satellites have shown a road 30 yards wide running dead straight from Newark Oh. to Chillocothe, Oh. complete with what were once berms. Both cities have extensive mound complexes. Also vast areas of the Amazon were diked and canals dug. Hundreds possibly thousands of miles of them still in use in some areas. Vast quarries still exist as stones to build cities were not lying on the surface.
Most of what was done was readily taken over by nature as can be seen form the air. The ancients certainly were not polluters in the sense and as many were hunter-gatherers they did work the environment to their advantage. When needed to for food or religion evidence of massive man made works abound. Thankfully no plastic or aluminum was used!

A

Atlantis0077

The mother earth/father sky rationale is very romantic but not sound history. Millions of people cannot live in a environment and fail to modify it.

Well put.

We do tend to romanticize past history.....when talking about Native Americans....years of Hollywood automatically makes the flutes play in the background and you hear a raspy voice saying "oh grandfather" Actually the native American population did make quite an impact on the land...and in contrast to what many say about living in harmony with nature and taking only what they need, succeeded in causing the extinction of several varieties of indigenous mammals.

Impact on nature is normally directly proportional to ones technology....if the Indians could have had access to bulldozers and backhoes, you can bet we would see lots of impact apparent today, but for the most part, especially in North America, they used pointed sticks and baskets to dig and haul dirt...even so they made some really exceptional impacts....Spiro, Poverty Point to name a couple.

Granted the Indians "ancient ones" didn't exploit the land to the extent we have today, but I think this was due more to the fact they didn't have the "abilities to harm" we do, rather than any overly developed environmental conscience. "No phones, no lights, no motor cars....." As far as them not polluting......what would you call the artifacts we so covet?? Was this not the "trash" they left behind?

Atlantis

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good point as the POOTERS we collect are just their worn out points resharpend to a nub. They finally just pitched them aside. When we are lucky enough to find a good one you can bet they were PO'd about losing it. Most of what native Americans items we find today is what did/could not deteriorate. Flint, pottery, some bone and shell.
Imagine trying to figure out our culture from a gun, knife and dinner plate. The Windover site in Brevard County, Florida is one of the few times the archaeologists had bone, tissue, brain and textiles to work with. Immediately their preconceived notions of Archaic life changed. http://www.nbbd.com/godo/history/windover/ This is a good link to show how people 5 to 8,000 yrs. ago lived. (at least here in Fl.) I live 30 miles from the site and was building houses near there when it was first discovered. I've been kind of "hooked" ever since.
I took some college courses and got involved in local and out of country digs with various universities. Central America and the SW United States are areas where we still are "finding" new things. Here in Florida there is a ton of sites but laws and development are keeping research to a minimum.

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

....The mother earth/father sky rationale is very romantic but not sound history. Millions of people cannot live in a environment and fail to modify it.....

LOL....your view is typical of the academic. Although we see the same things we understand them differently. To pass off a peoples beliefs and practices as romantic but not sound, is ludicrous and sadly typical of the ignorance/arrogance that is so prevalent in our society.

What is "sound history"?? It's difficult to get accurate accounts of historical times. How exactly do you get "sound history" from prehistorical times. Theories are all they are, not fact. Theories that have been formulated many times by people who add their own preconceived ideas based on their own belief system. These same theories will change with a single new discovery (unless it is conveniently just ignored). Sorry slick, that's not sound history. It is however the same mentality, based in ignorance, that justifies so many of its actions, from theft to genocide, by coining phrases such as manifest destiny.
Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread