garden spot finds

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
My neighbor broke his garden spot a couple of weeks ago and we have had several good rains since. I walked over his plowed spot and found these nice pieces. No whole ones but they are nice ones, including a couple of unfinished pieces. I also found a piece not really sure what it is. It is perfectly oval, smooth surface, and has two indentions on each side in the middle of the stone. Could be a geofact but it seems odd to have the indentions on both sides. Could someone identify it for me? Thanks for looking.

rc field.jpg
rc field2.jpg
rcfield11.jpg rcfield9.jpg rcfield12.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops, you forgot the pic.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
My neighbor broke his garden spot a couple of weeks ago and we have had several good rains since. I walked over his plowed spot and found these nice pieces. No whole ones but they are nice ones, including a couple of unfinished pieces. I also found a piece not really sure what it is. It is perfectly oval, smooth surface, and has two indentions on each side in the middle of the stone. Could be a geofact but it seems odd to have the indentions on both sides. Could someone identify it for me? Thanks for looking.

I seem to be having some trouble getting my pictures to download. I will try again

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Huntress!! me no know for sure, but at 400% inlarge the oval looks granny. if it is sandy like and those indentions are not indentions but are groves a cross stone, by grove i mean if you lay a pencile it will touch the stone full length, not just on outside edges.. it could be a shaft abrading stone for smoveing the shaft.. i am having to start all over trying to post photos, i have some photos you asked for but can not get them from camera to AIA forum. Terry

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the top photo, top center, Is that dark stone flat on the bottom? If it is,it looks like a nice sized thumb scraper?

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does the oval stone have any rough areas on the sides or ends? Indents could indicate it was used as a anvil or hammer stone. Nice finds!

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
In the top photo, top center, Is that dark stone flat on the bottom? If it is,it looks like a nice sized thumb scraper?

no it is not flat on the bottom. it is kinda round like it was not finished. I thought it was a scraper too when I found it.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Does the oval stone have any rough areas on the sides or ends? Indents could indicate it was used as a anvil or hammer stone. Nice finds!

no rough areas anywhere on the oval stone. just the indentions and they seem to fit the fingers perfectly. both sides have the indents in the same spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread