Any tips on finding some points?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2009
    Hardyville, KY
    garrett A.T. gold Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
    429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Any tips on finding some points?

Hey friends. I am still fairly new at this arrowhead hunting ordeal. Is there anyone who can give me some good advice on finding them in fields? I live in Kentucky. Thanks bunch!
    Finds as of August, 4th 2014

PENNIES- 131
    Copper- 46
    Zinc- 85
    wheaties- 1

NICKELS- 8
    Buffalo- 1

DIMES-21
    Silver Rosies-

QUARTERS- 4
    Silver Quarters-

us
    Dec 2009
    The south
    88 times
    Drive around for hours, find some plowed fields,Ask permission, concentrate on areas near water, creek or river or lake or pond. Walk for hours with your head down and cross your fingers!

us
    Dec 2009
    in your back yard
    excal 2 Fisher F75 SE
    504 times
    Look after the first rains in plowed or harrowed fields they are easier to spot then. leave your detector in the car that way you consentrate on looking for points and you'l find more. Please post what you find. Good luck. HH
    Broken Knee
    Last edited by Broken knee; Apr 05, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

us
    Apr 2003
    South Carolina
    Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
    604 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    High ground, near water. Plowed fields after rain...

GT
    ================================================== ==========
    "Saving History"
    Bringing you metal detecting videos since 2006.
    Subscribe for the latest releases - http://www.youtube.com/scdigger
    ================================================== ==========

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    2412 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I totally agree with Martingeetars, Broken knee and SC Digger, look at my 1st 2 finds in http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/am...ain-finds.html The flint in KY is more of a smokey grayish color based on what I've seen in person and on TNet. Make sure you wear boots!! LOL! Good Luck!
    Last edited by River Rat; Apr 06, 2012 at 08:23 AM.

Dec 2010
    241 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    patience and persistence

us
    Nov 2010
    Western PA
    When you stop to ask for permission, ask if anyone hunts the ground. But more importantly, ask if they ever see the same person there twice! And if they tell you 'that field was picked over years ago' you know you're onto something.

us
    May 2010
    england, ar
    78 times
    Relic Hunting
    I agree with what the others have suggested.I'm a newbe too,only been hunting for my third year.Heres what I did.First of all,some friends got me hooked.After hunting on their places,I got a feel for what to look for,and started finding my own places.So,ask around in the groups that you belong to,like church,the kids ball game group,co-workers,ect.If this fails,drive around in nearby farmland.Look for sandy hills or ridges near bodies of water.Try to get permission,always.Try to catch it after its been disc up and after a rain.Look for chips or flakes of flint,or broken pottery.Learn to tell the difference between flint and household trash.If you are hunting a field without permission and someone drives up,walk out to them,don't make them come to you.Introduce yourself and say that you have tried and failed to find the owner and you are glad to finally meet them.If you get permission,explain that you stopped because the field looked like a likely spot and ask if they know of any others.If you get permission,treat the land respectfully.Take everything with you that you brought.Don't leave cig butts or packages,cans,bottles,ect.Tracks are usually ok,but don't make ruts,and don't walk on their young plants.If you take someone with you,explain that you are a guest,and that they do not have permission to return without you.Hope this helps a little, Lightman

us
    Son of Eagles

Mar 2010
    Minnesota
    Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab SE PRO, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
    452 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    When I was a little kid I used to look for "arrowheads" in my grandfathers woods by looking at trees. My reasoning was that the "Indians" might have missed the running animals they were shooting at and the arrows would hit the trees and break off. I own 0 arrowheads..

us
    Mar 2012
    Illinois
    22 times
    Arrowheads
    Pick up lots of rocks. Learn the colors and types of chert/flint that are native to your area and pick up everything of similar color.

Sponsored Links