I left the metal detector at home yesterday....

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And drove about 25 miles after work to a field I was hoping would be plowed. Fortunately it was plowed and had been rained on a number of times. However, it had also been walked as I could see washed out footprints. I know the farmers son hunts for points as I have seen his collection in the past. I have also ran into others on this field in the past. I had two hours before dark, and after the first hour all I had to show was a pocket full of flakes. I finally saw what looked like a dead leaf, but picked it up anyway. Once I had it in my had I realized I had a complete point. The mottled grey material made it blend in with the dirt. Before it got too dark, I also found a light colored broken one and a complete, but crude dark one.

Attachments

• 4-16-12 019.jpg
    4-16-12 019.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 4-16-12 020.jpg
    4-16-12 020.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Looks like PA was the place for finding 'one whole and two brokes' last night. Congrats. BTW, do you drive a pick-up? Saw someone walking one of "my" usual spots last night. Those footprints could have been mine (25 miles from Pittsburgh)...though I don't believe this farmer has a son.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like PA was the place for finding 'one whole and two brokes' last night. Congrats. BTW, do you drive a pick-up? Saw someone walking one of "my" usual spots last night. Those footprints could have been mine (25 miles from Pittsburgh)...though I don't believe this farmer has a son.

Wasn't me Hutch. This spot is in Washington County and I drive a Jeep Liberty. This spot is on a hill above a stream that can't be seen from any road.

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Cool. Just curious, you never know. I'm in Armstrong County. Funny story: A few years ago I made the BIG mistake of posting an arrowhead video to youtube. I very briefly panned past a barn and gas well. Was back out there a few weeks later and another guy was hunting the spot. No big deal, free country. Then he walked up to me and said 'hi Hutch...enjoyed your video online'. WTF. He was a local and recognized the farm. I checked and it only had like 20 views...one was him. Kinda ended my video career!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And drove about 25 miles after work to a field I was hoping would be plowed. Fortunately it was plowed and had been rained on a number of times. However, it had also been walked as I could see washed out footprints. I know the farmers son hunts for points as I have seen his collection in the past. I have also ran into others on this field in the past. I had two hours before dark, and after the first hour all I had to show was a pocket full of flakes. I finally saw what looked like a dead leaf, but picked it up anyway. Once I had it in my had I realized I had a complete point. The mottled grey material made it blend in with the dirt. Before it got too dark, I also found a light colored broken one and a complete, but crude dark one.

Nice, arrow heads,

I wonder what got shoot the most, the arrow with head or all the muskets and haw-kens riffle or before the cartridge bullet. or whats is more found, you think there more of those points found than there is lead from a white man weapon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, arrow heads,

I wonder what got shoot the most, the arrow with head or all the muskets and haw-kens riffle or before the cartridge bullet. or whats is more found, you think there more of those points found than there is lead from a white man weapon.

I have definitely found more musketballs and minie balls than points (including broken points), but I have spent more time metal detecting. Here in the USA, I would bet more lead has been recovered than points when you consider all the Civil War lead that has been found.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Just curious, you never know. I'm in Armstrong County. Funny story: A few years ago I made the BIG mistake of posting an arrowhead video to youtube. I very briefly panned past a barn and gas well. Was back out there a few weeks later and another guy was hunting the spot. No big deal, free country. Then he walked up to me and said 'hi Hutch...enjoyed your video online'. WTF. He was a local and recognized the farm. I checked and it only had like 20 views...one was him. Kinda ended my video career!

What are the odds of that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread