Pressure flaking a point- start to finish.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Here's the process, I cheated some though. I was going to go through from the cobble, to the spaul, to the percussion flaking and then the pressure flaking but after digging around in my bag of flintknapping material I found I didn't have a lot of good material left. Furthermore I had already knapped all the big stuff into preforms- had some Dacite, quartzite, and noviculite pieces but nothing really nice so... I thought I could at least demonstrate part of the process- the pressure flaking. I used a pre cut slab (cheating) the end result is the same it just saves A LOT of time in trying to spaul a decent piece. Hope you guys aren't too disappointed - First picture is my tool kit, two antlers, a rock for percussion flaking and grinding, and a piece of leather.

Attachments

• makkit.jpg
    makkit.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 628
  • makenine.jpg
    makenine.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 633
  • makeeight.jpg
    makeeight.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 615
  • makseve.jpg
    makseve.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 616
  • makfour.jpg
    makfour.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 629
  • makthree.jpg
    makthree.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 629
  • maktwo.jpg
    maktwo.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 594
  • makone.jpg
    makone.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 648
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
The final product after about 35 minutes or so...and one cut finger- this stuff is sharp

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 607

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Wow, wow and more wow! Oh and an ouch!
35 min. How in the heck did you do all that? Alright I can see the flaking but the base? Without breaking it? Can you teach some one to do that? Recommend a book?

I am truly amazed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I'm sure there's some good books out there- lots of information floating around the net to- wish I would have had access to it all when I was learning to knapp- I just taught myself, but it took a LONG time. You can learn how pretty quick if you have somebody show you and explain first hand though. I had somebody ask me to give them lessons one time- that was fun, they enjoyed it to.
The base is flaked the same way as the rest of the point, just have to have a narrow and hard piece of antler tip to do it, that and apply pressure at the correct angle so you don't get step fracturing- a real problem for many beginners.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks Country Girl- I don't know about talent, more like useless knowledge but oh well... finger is fine, it's just this stuff is SOOOO sharp! One little slice right by the cuticle and you bleed for a while- parr for the course when knapping.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Worthless knowledge, how many people could be stuck in the middle of no where and make a weapon to feed themselves with? Not many today. I'd call it a lost art. But you may want to consider bringing Band Aids.
Thanks again for the show!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worthless knowledge, no way. Good job!!!! I keep some Alum around or better yet Cayenne Pepper (if you're not allergic to Vitamin K). Put either directly onto the cut no matter how bad it is and the bleeding stops immediately. Then apply a little Comfrey salve and two days later a cut like that is completely healed.

Once again, GOOD JOB!!!!
Deepsix

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Bloody nice job!! :)
That one turned out good.

It definitly tales practice and patiance.
Cutting the notches are a challenge and used to break
a lot of them in half doing that.
I did a bit of knapping back in the 1980's
and cut the hell out of myself too...lol.

I used an etcher and scratched my initials in my bigger pieces
so they wouldn't be confused as authentic.
I also made jewelry pieces, pendants, earrings, using colored fishbowl glass that I got from the pet store. It was really easy to work with.

I made a tool from a copper rod, about a quarter inch in diameter mounted into a wood dowel and kept the end sharp with a file.

Interesting post Cannonman! Thanks!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks guys- I was thinking I should etch my name or something into them to but if I leave a little bit of the flat surface on one or both sides (like on this piece) there's no way anybody could pass it off as real. I'll have to remember that Cayenne Pepper trick- sounds like it would burn a little but I'll try it. I normally don't really cut myself all that much anymore- this was just one of those freak things where a razor sharp flake dicided to lodge itself in my cuticle. I've never used a metal tip to pressure flake but I think I might try that, why not....I've taught myself how to knapp using only traditional tools from cobble to finished point I suppose I could ease the rules a little and cheat a little more... I bet they work pretty good. Although a sharp deer antler works good to, soft enough to grab onto the edge and hard enough to pop the flake off.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Boobydo, and any others- you have any of your knapping stuff left? I love looking at what others have made- it's inspiring. I hadn't done much knapping for the past year and then I made this post and now I have the itch again, I'm going to make a couple tonight I think-

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
LOL- I will, I hope my son can post his first one also- I'm teaching him how, he's only ten and just learning but at his age and with my help he may be cranking out some beauties in a few years.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Cooooooool! Show us his work too. I wish you could teach Tyler and myself. I can't wait to show him your stuff. I keep checking the mail, buggers only come once a day! :P

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I don't know if I've read anything by him but it sure does sound familiar. My kid isn't a big outdoorsman yet... but he does get a kick out of the flintknapping. In all my years it has only come in handy one time. My friend and I were out turkey hunting on some farming land and he actually got one- we were quite a ways from the car and even farther when we found the bird. After standing there gloating for a little while it came time to field dress it... only neither of us had a knife. We had just passed an old bottle dump about five minutes before that so I went and found the bottom to an old Hilex bleach bottle and a piece of broken crock (hammerstone) and flaked out a knife blade. It worked- we field dressed the turkey with a glass knife- interesting experiment. Wish I would have kept it but I just tossed it when we were done.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of educational demos at PowWows, Historical events and schools. My persona is a Free Trapper that "went Indian". Our setups are as elaborate as a complete camp with 2 lodges to a simple table display where we explain the uses of different items, depending on where we are at and what they want.

Yesterday I went up to a Powwow with some deer skins I had Brain Tanned and did some trading for things I needed for our displays and camp. It was a great day and I got much more then I actually expected. These are just a few of the things I picked up.

The metal blade on the left is an original Green River Buffalo Skinner (I put the Elk Antler handles on it this morning). The two stone blades at the top and bottom were done by a local knapper and are mounted on Deer Antler handles using real sinew soaked in homemade bone glue. The point in the middle I will mount in a short "war lance".

Although the knapping work isn't mine I thought you might like seeing them.
Deepsix

Attachments

• 000_1153.jpg
    000_1153.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 565

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Cannonman.... Great job you have done there ;D A part from the survival use of this art, what other good is there? I read in a past post that they are selling these heads on the net as real..... This I do not agree with :'( I think I would like to find a real one not a modern made version..... In fact after hearing about the net scam, I would never buy a arrow head, as I could never for sure say that it was real. Dont get me wrong, I am not complaining, but wondering.... I can see that it is not easy to do. Sorry about the finger, but flint is very sharp :o

I have not seen any arrow heads here in South Africa, I have heard that they do exist though.... would love to find one.

Have you tried to make knives and other implements yet? would like to see some......

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Deepsix- those are pretty cool! Thanks! One thing that I never really messed with too much was hafting them. I have some antler, I should try it... I did mount some atl-atl points that I tried hunting with, that was pretty cool. I also took my atl-atl and threw the darts at a variety of objects over and over and over. (trees, dirt, hay, meat, etc.) that was one of the best experiments I ever did, when a point got dull I would touch it up and continue the process, the end result was me having a much better understanding of wear patterns (and impact fractures in particular) on points.

pgill, apart from the survival there isn't much use except to learn about artifacts like I mentioned above.. that and as just an art form I guess. It's true that there is a lot of fakes on the market, I don't buy any either, I have found quite a few though. I have never passed mine off as real- don't want to either. The few that do give the rest of us knappers a bad name/reputation. I don't know about Africa- there's must be some stone tools... and lots of other cool things to look for - fossils, minerals, etc. I'll post some pics of some knives I've made if I have any left.. if I don't I will make one and post it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread