Loaf stone?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I recently mentioned loaf stones in a thread and Steve V. Posted some nice polished ones. I have a stone with a similar shape, but no traces(that I can see) of it being tooled. In my area "potato rocks" are ever where. Some show alteration really well, while others not so well. I know going on shape alone is a no no and I hate to keep posting "rocks" but, I'm curious about this one. Once again, HELP!!

image-1881088049.jpg

image-1760578251.jpg

image-1940012476.jpg

image-294512729.jpg

image-3264366712.jpg

Thanks fellas! I'll get it one day.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take mine with Pepernickle! :laughing9: SORRY, I could resist.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
A perfect example of a pc that i can't really see. your last picture there shows the bottom of the pc and this is where you'll want to look for polish. the first picture doesn't look loafstonish to me but the third picture does. No matter how close to the shape of a loaf the top is as long as it is somewhat, and the bottom is flat like in your pc gives it possibilty but the bottom should have polish on it that will tell you if that pc is a loafstone or not. I need glasses maybe :dontknow:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loafstones are more uniform in shape and I don't see any evidence on your piece ever being pecked or shaped by man. I say just a natural stone.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I can't really see tooling on it either. I do see what I believe to be signs of wear or use. It's one that I'll keep, but not display. If I were to get into the whole artifact show scene, this one would not make the cut. Reaper and Sohio, I really thank you for your time.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did your dad say on it?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a reminder fellas don't let your stones loaf

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything the 3rd photo it looks like a mano or a grinder with that flat bottom. I would like to see the very bottom of it.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
natchitoches said:
love that log house

Thanks bro! All of the logs were hand worked by slaves. We tore old houses and barns down, to build the house. We have remodeled it, and I would not allow the logs to be covered in my bathroom or bedroom. To me, that's just like deliberately breaking arrowheads. You can tell I love antiques and history.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
What did your dad say on it?

He only knows flakes, obvious stuff. He would not know a loaf stone if he saw one. I'm sure he would know it was something, but not what. Where do you think I got my bad habits from??

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
If anything the 3rd photo it looks like a mano or a grinder with that flat bottom. I would like to see the very bottom of it.

I think you hit it on the head rock. It has some rubbing like scaring on the bottom, and has intentions that fingers fit perfectly. This thing was hard to photograph.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Could this silly thing be a loaf stone?

image-783591239.jpg

image-357545221.jpg

image-1773304869.jpg

It looks more like a loaf of bread than any of them, I think.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. I'm an idiot. Someone please explain to me a) what is a loaf stone. and by comparison- b) what's the difference between a loaf stone and a mano-grinder, or grinding stone.??? I'm having an increadibly hard time understanding the more 'primitive' (less or not at all polished) tools. The pictures I see on line and in books all seem to be the 'ideal' or 'perfect- museum quality' version of 'loaf stone', but I still don't get it- especially with regards to less than perfect examples. I must be dense. I will eventually get some pics up of the variety of 'possible tools' I see so often. Disc or round or oval rocks, seemingly split down the middle and 'rubbed' smooth on the flat side... rocks broken- or shaped into 'L' shapes... A lot of 'L' shapes... I won't harp on that. My question war really about the loaf stone thing. So for now, can someone help me understand- please? thanks in advance.
Yakker

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I don't know what they are either, so don't think yourself as dense. I have only seen pics and noticed that I had a piece that looked similar. So, if you are dense, so am I. I think they are like plummets though. No known use for them. I could be wrong about that.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
i dont think loaf stones would be plummets

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
"off topic"